My duckling, Cookie is having seizures.

AmyK51912

Hatching
6 Years
May 6, 2013
Hello all,
I am new to this site, but have been reading a good many posts about people's ducks having seizures. I thought that maybe someone might be able to help me.

I recently purchased three ducklings from a feed store. Their breed is unknown; the vet thinks they are mutts.

They are about 7 weeks old now and their "duck paradise" in the backyard is almost complete. For the meantime, they have been in the house.

About a week ago now, Cookie, the runt of the group (his buddies are quite bigger than he is) started having seizures. He tends to have a series of three or four in the wee hours of the morning, one every couple hours. He does sometimes have them at other times.

The first day they occurred, I took him to a local vet. The vet wasn't an expert, but she raised ducks and chickens and put him on a sulfa antibiotic (He has one more day of it).

The seizure activity seemed to improve, but did not go away.

I took him to an avian vet this past Friday. She gave him lactulose, in case it was his liver, and sent me home with two diazepam injections to give him if he seized.

The next day, the lactulose made him vomit. I called the vet and she said to discontinue the use.

He had a seizure during the day and I gave him an injection.

He didn't have a seizure for close to 36 hours.

He started having his wee morning hour seizures again today.

Like I said, he has been in the house. I have separated him from his buddies and have made him quite comfortable in a big dog carrier. Trust me, this duck is spoiled. He gets so much attention.

When he has his episodes he does not lose consciousness. They last no more than 30 seconds, and a minute or two later he is pretty much back to normal and hungry. He has never lost his appetite. I have noticed that sometimes he has head twitches after. He will usually have a seizure an hour or two later if this is the case.

He goes back to the vet this afternoon, hopefully for more testing. She did take a stool sample last time, and everything seemed normal.

He acts normally and has energy. He just has these episodes.

I am quite attached to him and am doing everything I can.

Does anyone out there have a similar experience? Was it just a neurological thing? Did your duck live? I suppose at this point I just want to know if he has a chance for survival. It has already been decided that he will be a house duck if he pulls through this.

I would appreciate any insight.

Thanks!

If it's neurological, niacin supplementation may help. Try 100 to 150 mg niacin (from a capsule - plain niacin, not no-flush or timed-release) per gallon of water for the next couple of months.

What are you feeding him?

I am feeding him the DuMor nonmedicated chick/duck starter/grower.

The vet just gave me an oral diazepam to give him twice a day to control the seizures. He just got his first dose tonight.

Can he take the niacin along with his medication?

I am feeding him the DuMor nonmedicated chick/duck starter/grower.

The vet just gave me an oral diazepam to give him twice a day to control the seizures. He just got his first dose tonight.

Can he take the niacin along with his medication?
I think that should be taken up with your vet. Most likely it would be okay and we have seen a lot about ducks getting over neurological issues after taking niacin for a while.

Sad news for Cookie. He started seizing this morning. The normal pattern was three or four seizures. I literally lost count. The oral diazepam did not help. I gave him an injection, and he still continued to seize. He is currently on his way to Cornell University (the vet's recommendation). Fingers crossed that they can figure out what is wrong and help him.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom