My duckling is still so sick-not sure what to do UPDATE: WORSE, PLEASE HELP

creekside2012

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 21, 2012
Jefferson County, NY
My duckling started having trouble walking and she was stumbling a lot. Then she started sitting to eat or drink, like she could not hold herself up. Now when she gets up she wobbles like she cannot find her balance and whether she is sitting or trying to walk her head bobs and is wavy from side to side. Now when she does walk she walks on the backs of legs with with her feet and the first half of legs flat. In fact she is starting to get sores on the back of the joint where she is walking on them all the time.

I have been supplemeting her, as I really thought this was a niacin/nutrition issue but she is still not getting better. Is there anything else I can do for her or should I just wait and see if the supplemental nutrition kicks in?

Thank you for any insight.

Last edited:
Could it possibly be neurological?
I was thinking that too. I have been trying to research to see what could possibly be affecting a duck neurologically. The other 2 are perfectly fine and doing great. They are growing like crazy every day but she seems to be lagging in growth and weight this week.

I have been going through a similar situation with one of my Pekin ducklings. One day it suddenly could not walk and had a bobbling head as well. I have been giving niacin, greens (peas/bok choy, etc.) and poly vi sol (without iron) liquid children vitamins. I also make sure they swim everyday in their kiddie pool. It's been about a month and the duck is now able to stand up and walks very slowly and still stumbles a lot but seems to swim very well now. I have seen improvement which is better than nothing. Good luck to you - keep us updated!

I have been going through a similar situation with one of my Pekin ducklings. One day it suddenly could not walk and had a bobbling head as well. I have been giving niacin, greens (peas/bok choy, etc.) and poly vi sol (without iron) liquid children vitamins. I also make sure they swim everyday in their kiddie pool. It's been about a month and the duck is now able to stand up and walks very slowly and still stumbles a lot but seems to swim very well now. I have seen improvement which is better than nothing. Good luck to you - keep us updated!
That is encouraging! Thank you for sharing!

UPDATE: I thought I had figured out Grace's problem with the protein in their feed being too much. But she is still doing all the above, still not thriving and now to make matters worse, she is actually mutilating herself. She is picking out her feathers and even picking at the skin. Both her wings, bum, chest and under her wings is now bald, raw and bloody. I am lost with what to do at this point. Any advice is greatly appreciated as I do not want her to suffer.

It honestly sounds like it might be neurological and unfortunately I don't think there is anything to do about it :( I'm wonder if this is a pekin problem....I've been seeing ALOT of these types of things on here lately. I myself rescued a pekin, she is now 10 weeks old. and when we got her she couldn't walk, she was completely picked, ect... not to mention at the time I got her my 5 week old pekins towered her.....they still do but she is now growing, she has her feathers coming back and her wing feathers are FINALLY coming in! And she is starting to walk, like yours though, on the lower half of her leg

I can think of two possibilities. If the duck is crested, the crest is cause by a hole in the skull and some of those babies have neurological problems, and they are very susceptible to head injuries.

The other possibility, is that the wobbling part of it sounds like botulism poisoning, which the duck would only have if they had been outside and sampling the goodies found there.

Back
Top Bottom