my duckling swallowed a metal chain!

Songster
Dec 30, 2019
Sandy springs Atlanta Georgia USA
One evening I let out my little ducklings into the house so that they could swim in their little tub and I didn't realize that I had been fiddling with something and I dropped a little metal chain. By the time I got there squeakers (my duckling) had already swallowed the chain.what do I do! my brother told me that we should weigh them everyday like we have been doing weekly but do you really think that that is going to work should I just take her to an avian vet right now or try and solve this myself?

What do you mean?

You didn't specify the size of the chain, and what kind of composite it's made up of, but if you physically saw the duckling ingest the chain, she needs to be taken to a vet. I'm afraid there's little you can do at home besides administering a cathartic or laxative, and providing overall supportive care.

So far from what we've observed we should not need to go to the vet because of the size of the chain it was quite small and she's been quite active today so if it does get worse I will contact you or a vet but for now I think we'll leave it at that that she is fine

So far from what we've observed we should not need to go to the vet because of the size of the chain it was quite small and she's been quite active today so if it does get worse I will contact you or a vet but for now I think we'll leave it at that that she is fine

I would personally take her even if she's not showing symptoms yet, but that is your choice.

Linear foreign body if it doesn’t pass along on its own. Hard to say what it will do. May pass, may not. But best prognosis would be gained by seeking veterinary attention sooner rather than later. I’ve seen some pretty horrific ones in cats from strings; and in ruminants with baler twine etc. (You can scare yourself by doing a quick google search and see all the ways they can go wrong.) How old are these ducklings?

Unfortunately we cannot find it in her poop. But I still am convinced she is fine that she has been pooping through the whole day she has taken regular swims and has been out to play a couple times and I do not see anything wrong with her so if you have any suggestions or other warnings then please post them but if not then I would like you to know that she is fine.

Back
Top Bottom