My duckling won’t stop pulling other ducks feathers while swimming.

MikaylaLeslie

Chirping
May 27, 2020
We have 2 Mallards and 2 Pekins that are 4 weeks old. We just moved them to their new duck house outside this past Sunday. We live in California so we are having hundred degree days at the moment. In the afternoons they are all panting so I’ve been spraying them with cool water which they love and then as much as we can we let them swim in a kiddie pool. The smallest duck (a mallard) has been chasing the 3 other ducks and nibbling around the ducks legs. No idea if it’s a male or female but it’s the smallest so for now we refer to it as her and we named her Winnie. She’s getting more aggressive and will grab the feathers and try to pull them. The Pekins let out a cry and try to swim away from her. When there’s treats like tomatoes or grapes in the water she’s focused on that but as soon as those are gone she chases the other ducks. I’ve read about duck cannibalism and so I want to do anything I can to fix this early on. Any suggestions?? We feed them Purina flock raisers and give them fruits and vegetables. Is there something missing from her diet?

I’ve never heard of duck cannibalism heard of chickens but not ducks. Why not give this duck time out while the others are swimming? Sometimes just changing things up a bit can break a bad habit. Then try after a few days to put this trouble maker back with just one then if that goes well just keep adding back until all are in the pool again. Does she he go after them outside the pool. And possibly you can tell sex by voice now females quack loud drakes sound raspy.

I’ve never heard of duck cannibalism heard of chickens but not ducks. Why not give this duck time out while the others are swimming? Sometimes just changing things up a bit can break a bad habit. Then try after a few days to put this trouble maker back with just one then if that goes well just keep adding back until all are in the pool again. Does she he go after them outside the pool. And possibly you can tell sex by voice now females quack loud drakes sound raspy.
Thank you so much! So far the mallards still have their baby sounds just slightly deeper. Just right now we let the ducks out to go swimming and I was able to catch Winnie and take her inside which was not easy. My mom stayed outside with the others ones and then the other mallard started doing the same thing! We’ve only noticed it when they are swimming.

I have an almost grown Pomeranian duck, a Black Cayuga, and a Rouen. First two are female, the Rouen being a male. Recently the pom has been pulling out the other ducks feathers and it's only when they are in the pool. She will eat a couple but spits out the rest. The water looks like a duck got massacred when they're don't swimming. Idk if she wants the pool to herself. It's a 5'x5'x20" and there's enough room for all three to dive down and do a couple laps underwater. I've tried adding toys, threw in some seeds/bsfl and even taken one duck out but she still does it with just another duck in there. Shes also taken to biting so hard on a chicken while it's bathing that it can't stand up for a little bit, she's done that twice. I just don't know what to do with her other than find a new home but I'm afraid of what they'll do to her bcz her behavior more than likely won't change. I got all my hens and the ducks on July 4,2023 and they were at least two weeks old so they've all grown up together. Just makes me sad and at a loss of what to do...

Attachments

• 16947258886077906193130208220499.jpg
    16947258886077906193130208220499.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
What are you feeding? Sometimes it’s lack of enough protein but not always and they usually eat the feathers. You could try adding extra protein and see if that helps I use dry small bit dog food. (What I feed my dachshund) some use cat food or dried mealworms. If using dry dog or cat food make sure you get good quality some is just fillers. If it’s behavioral then maybe she needs time out. Kept from the others while they are in the pool then when they are done she gets her turn.

I was just going to ask what are you feeding
I have one out of my 19 ducks that will eat feathers laying around
He use to peck at the others as well as a young one
I was told he just needs more protein them the rest
I also have never heard of ducks eating ducks
That seems a bit crazy 😝
Especially as a baby
My young ones take turns nibbling at one another. Nothing serious

Back
Top Bottom