My Ducklings Are Eating Their Shavings!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ducklover1243, May 23, 2011.

1. ducklover1243

ducklover1243 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    help me please! I dont know what to do because my almost six-week-old ducklings , (well maybe just ducks [​IMG] ) are feeding lightly on their bedding! I've heard this is very bad! It is raining outside and I can't use towels anymore which is what I have been doing, and cant go get any other form of bedding ! Will it be ok if they eat a few or will it kill them? i thought it would be ok even though i say HEY really loud each time they bend down to take a bite, cause they are older know. please help me![​IMG][​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    They will pass through the digestive tract as long as noe of the shavings are particularly large or thick. I find evidence of some being eaten in the brooder with my 5-6 week old ducks and gosling at the moment- I have put some grass in the brooder to help with bordem and give tham something other than the shavings to forage in.

3. ducklover1243

ducklover1243 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    ok thanks:D theyve had them for a few days now so i think theyre ok as far as shaving go![​IMG] thanks goodness cause htose towels were killing me![​IMG]

4. MissusDee

MissusDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    I put a paper towel over the shavings when I was using them, it keeps them from eating it so much, and is easy to clean. You just throw it away.

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    My ducks eat the paper towel

If they are eating shavings, make sure they have grit. They should stop eating shavings after they get used to them and figure out they aren't food.

Ducks are like little kids. Everything goes into their mouth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by