My ducklings didn't like bath time

Younger

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 4, 2013
Hamilton, Ontario Canada
I tried my ducklings in about 2 inches of water today. They are about 4-5 days old and very interested in the water in their waterer so I put some lukewarm water in my sink and placed them in it. They could touch the bottom with ease (it barely came to their belly) All they wanted to do was huddle in the corner and try to get out. What am I doing wrong? I dried them after about 5 minutes and put them back under the heat lamp where they started preening and dancing. Is this normal?
Thanks. I am very new to ducks and any suggestions would be appreciated.

I tried my ducklings in about 2 inches of water today. They are about 4-5 days old and very interested in the water in their waterer so I put some lukewarm water in my sink and placed them in it. They could touch the bottom with ease (it barely came to their belly) All they wanted to do was huddle in the corner and try to get out. What am I doing wrong? I dried them after about 5 minutes and put them back under the heat lamp where they started preening and dancing. Is this normal?
Thanks. I am very new to ducks and any suggestions would be appreciated.
They'll get use to it, I'd make the water warmer but not hot. give them a few more times in it and you'll probably see more interest.

Hey, welcome! i've been out to yours parts before!

Um, at that little it's scary, everything is.. i had babies swim that young before but they had a mama so copied her. Honestly, just this week my 6wk olds have started jumping into the livestock rubber bowls to take a dip prior to that no interest.

You could give it a couple days and try again, it just takes time to intro anything new to ducks, i hung a new feeder in the barn last week and mine all freaked these are adults lol

So what do you have? breed. I mainly have Muscovy.
smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. I was so hoping they would love it. My hubby said I was more excited about the bath than the duckllings. Lol. I have two pekin and one Rouen. I also have 4 Rhode Island Reds and 4 Barred Rocks. They are all supposed to be the same age however one of the Pekin is double the size of the the other. No feathers yet, just bigger. My chicks look like they started to get feathers last night!! They changed overnight. It is a very exciting time here.

There is nothing cuter than the little wing flapping baby in a tub of water. As ML & I said just takes time, pekin grow quick! soon they'll be bathing like champs, i cannot keep some of my ducks out of the horse trough... i fill it up, they take it down to half.
smack.gif
and they have pools!

for fun some of mine last year..

Last edited:
Apparently my ducks only like warm water. If it is any temperature below warm they squawk like I am cutting their heads off. If the temp is warm they dive and swim. They love their outdoor playpen though.

Apparently my ducks only like warm water. If it is any temperature below warm they squawk like I am cutting their heads off. If the temp is warm they dive and swim. They love their outdoor playpen though.

Well they are still babies and babies like warm baths, well actually I like warm baths. They sure are cute.

I have 10 day old mixed breeds with their mother, they drink water but that is all. I also have 4+week olds, they only just started splashing in shallow water this week. The unwritten official rule that I was told about ducklings and swimming: Not until they get their feathers and the oil gland produces the oil that will make them waterproof.

thanks once again to Miss Lydia and Hollyduck. I guess each duck to their own. lol they splash and dive into a shallow pan of water when i put one in their play area. I only put them in the deeper tub when they are supervised and only for 5-7 minutes max. They love to eat grass in the play area. Should I put grit out if they are eating grass? I read they don't need it with their crumble but with anything else they do. Just a small plate of course sand right?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom