My ducklings don't like chick feed

jenrya91

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 19, 2013
Seoul, Korea
I mean, they eat everything, EVERYTHING except chick feed.
(They eat it sometimes, but it's only 'sometimes'...)
I've tried putting some mealworms into their feeder, but it didn't work.
They only eat mealworms and peep like, "THERE'S NO FOOD!!"
and all I see is a mountain of chick feed left in the feeder.

The package says it's for chicks, ducklings and quails.
What's wrong with my ducklings? What else can I feed them as their staple food?

What kind of chick feed are you giving them..the crumbles, ? I've never..and I mean NEVER had this problem and I've hatched many, many ducks..it's just what is in the brooder from Day 1 and it's what they eat. Try putting it in the water and see if that helps..you can chop up lettuce and spinich in their water as well..chopped SMALL...but they need the feed to get some vitamins and such..what kind of ducks are they? how old are they?

welcome-byc.gif

You need tell us a bit more, how old are the ducks and can you give some more info on the food itself? brand, % of protein, type?? crumble, pellet, mash etc

I never have encountered that either, if anything my birds as babies are like vacuums
lau.gif

Last edited:
Mash, 16% protein.
I always make it into mush with water and mix brewer's yeast powder when I feed them.
Sometimes they eat it like they are obsessed, but mostly they just eat the 'toppings' like mealworms or lettuce.
Maybe I should remove the toppings, to make them concentrate on chick feed?

I have one Ancona and one Pekin.
I don't know exactly how old they are since I didn't hatch them...the Ancona is 24cm and the Pekin is 15cm(torso length only).

Mash was the only thing I could find...I don't think they sell crumbles or pellets in Korea.
Instead of putting the lettuce and meal worms on top why not mix them in and see if they won't eat better. at least while they are going after the specials they will be eating the mash too.

Last edited:
Instead of putting the lettuce and meal worms on top why not mix them in and see if they won't eat better. at least while they are going after the specials they will be eating the mash too.

Thanks! I should try that. Maybe I was the one who has been spoiling them...

you could try fermenting the chick feed. There are some helpful threads on this site about Fermented Feed. It's very easy to do - makes the food go further and is said to make the food more nutritious. My ducklings prefer the wet, fermented feed to the dry....but have never hesitated to eat either.

Back
Top Bottom