My ducklings have runny noses :-(

Andora

Songster
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
I'm a little panicked. We went though a chicken disease issue last fall and had to cull and start over, and runny noses were the first symptom. (Everything has since been disinfected and all new chickens are 100% healthy.)

My ducklings came from TSC a few days ago. They've been under a heat lamp most of the time except when they are out marching around with us for about 15 minutes at a time, or taking a daily swim in some warm water in the tub.

They all act healthy other than clear runny noses. What should I do? I read that ducks don't get diseases as easily as chickens, and I have no idea where they would have gotten a disease anyway unless they got it at TSC before I brought them home...they didn't have runny noses this morning!

Help!

Do they have access to deep enough water so they can get their eyes/nose under water? I'd put that out for them asap...I have never had a problem unless their noses were stopped up, not washed...it can give them eye discharge as well. Ducks are really hardy, just give them that and make sure the light is low enough they can get nice and warm.

They ran out of water today while I was gone. Maybe that was it? Every single one had a clear runny nose. They just came inside and swam in the bath tub for about 20 minutes, until they started falling asleep, in some nice warm water. I'm going to go back out in a little while to see if they got the runny noses back.
sad.png
I've been keeping a little tupperware dish wired to the side of the brooder with water in it so they can plunge their heads or hop in.

They don't act sickly at all, they aren't even sneezing! They can get right under their light, or they can actually hop out of the brooder and walk around in the space blocked off in front of it, so I know they have plenty of space to get warm or to cool down.

After their bath the runny noses seem to be gone.

Is it possible for them to get runny noses just from being out of water for a few hours!?! I will be super careful from now on to never let that happen again. I hope that was all it was from.
fl.gif

Quite possible...the other thing is I wouldn't allow them to swim whenever they want until they are feathered...I have bath time, then dry them off and put them back in the warm brooder...I'd put something, like a water filled jar in the bowl i give them so they can't get in, just wash their faces...i hope that makes sense? I'm also trying the milk jug waterer to make less mess...
http://www.duckeggs.com/images/duckling-water-feeder.jpg
mine knocked it over once...blah, but otherwise...

That's a really good idea! They don't get their heads stuck in it?

They're in the brooder with a 6 week old Polish and a 6 week old Crevecoeur. I bet the Polish will get her head stuck.
lau.gif

ugh..that might be a problem! Just try finding a ceramic dog dish or the like and putting a large jar full of water, for the weight, in the middle...this way they won't be in it all the time
wink.png
They really should market duck dishes...so many people would buy them!

Back
Top Bottom