My Ducklings keep dying

Smtaylo85

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2020
We bought our first flock of 12 ducklings 3 weeks ago from tractor supply here in Michigan. They all seemed healthy and active minus a couple of them who were having leg issues but both have been improving. Yesterday i went downstairs to where they were living to feed and clean their living area up and I found one of them dead then later in the afternoon there was another one that died. I moved the remaining 10 outside to their new house whick is a warm shed with hay and a heatlamp. This morning I went to let them out and I found a 3rd ducklings dead and another one who can't stand up. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. We put brewers yeast in there food and have also tried using nutritional yeast seasoning as well. They are eating purina duck pellets. I also give them peas as treats every few days. I'm not sure what to do. Any help is appreciated!

Hi @Smtaylo85 I’m so sorry for your loss!
to speed things up for you, I know others are going to ask for it, can you please upload pictures of your duckling who has trouble walking?And tell about your setup? People will be able to help you more quickly. I’m going to tag @casportpony @Isaac 0 and @Miss Lydia too. Because they know A lot about ducklings with problems.

Welcome to BackYard Chickens! Sorry to hear about your ducklings!

I have a few questions, could you post a picture of the heat lamp and bulb you are using, I'd also like to see a few pictures of your setup that you are keeping them in, and a few pictures of the ducklings, what is the temp in the brooder, and are they showing any symptoms before they die?

Hi @Smtaylo85 I’m so sorry for your loss!
to speed things up for you, I know others are going to ask for it, can you please upload pictures of your duckling who has trouble walking?And tell about your setup? People will be able to help you more quickly. I’m going to tag @casportpony @Isaac 0 and @Miss Lydia too. Because they know A lot about ducklings with problems.

These were the best I could get of him or her. They are in a 12x10 shed with hay and a heatlamp and the run is fenced in.

Attachments

• 20200601_103449.jpg
    20200601_103449.jpg
    639.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200601_103640.jpg
    20200601_103640.jpg
    832.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200601_103540.jpg
    20200601_103540.jpg
    781.1 KB · Views: 16
Welcome to BackYard Chickens! Sorry to hear about your ducklings!

I have a few questions, could you post a picture of the heat lamp and bulb you are using, I'd also like to see a few pictures of your setup that you are keeping them in, and a few pictures of the ducklings, what is the temp in the brooder, and are they showing any symptoms before they die?

Not sure on the temperature but it's set up low enough where it'll keep them warm. They all seemed to be acting and running around normal before any died.

Attachments

• 20200531_155940.jpg
    20200531_155940.jpg
    719.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200531_193029.jpg
    20200531_193029.jpg
    753.8 KB · Views: 16
A niacin deficiency if left untreated it will lead to death. We have no idea what killed these ducklings. If the duckling had bowed legs sure sounds like it had a niacin deficiency whether that killed it only a necropsy can tell.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom