My Ducklings keep dying

Welcome to BYC, sorry for your losses. Did any of them guzzle water before they died? Some times ducklings will die shortly after they guzzle cold water. This happens if they have been out of water, then they guzzle after you refill. About 20-30 minutes later they will start dying.

Possibly Duck virus Hepatitis? Rapidly spreads. DVH type 1,2 or 3?
I'm new to owning ducks so that could be possible. I'm not sure exactly what'sgoing on with them. The one that wasn't getting up this morning is now walking just slower that the rest of the flock. We gave her some vitamin b drops and niacin in the water.

The one that wasn't able to get up is now up and moving around more but is slower than the rest. We gave her some vitamin b drops and niacin in their water.

A niacin deficiency if left untreated it will lead to death. We have no idea what killed these ducklings. If the duckling had bowed legs sure sounds like it had a niacin deficiency whether that killed it only a necropsy can tell.
Ok idk how it could be that bc have niacin in the water plus been using brewers yeast or nutritional yeast on their food. We gave the only that wouldn't get up some vitamin b drops this morning and she's been up walking more just a little slower. That all went for a swim in the pool today.

@casportpony is more up to date on duck diseases maybe She can comment on if this that were mentioned would be possible. No way would I toss out diseases with out the research to go with it. Maybe you can look in DVH and see if symptoms match?

Welcome to BYC, sorry for your losses. Did any of them guzzle water before they died? Some times ducklings will die shortly after they guzzle cold water. This happens if they have been out of water, then they guzzle after you refill. About 20-30 minutes later they will start dying.
I don't think so on the guzzling water they usually have a lot of water available in their 2 drinkers.

Back
Top Bottom