My ducklings won't let me touch them.

CRmuscovy

Songster
May 26, 2021
Costa Rica
I am a little heart broken because I have raised from eggs 6 Muscovy ducklings and they won't let me touch them. They wag their tails and chirp when I come in their yard. The follow me around, and love the worms and other garden treats I toss them as I work in the dirt, but they don't like me to touch them. Any ideas why?

Last edited:
They like to be around me, so I sometimes crouch down by them, but the moment I try to touch them they move. They are almost 2 months old. I thought that a least a couple out of the 6 would be more friendly. The parents are the same, social, but don't like to be touched. Is this normal for Muscovies? I had to rescue the eggs because a predator yanked the mom from the nest and she wouldn't go back. I have taken care of them since April 19 when they hatched.

It is common for ducks to not enjoy being touched. My ducks and I have had a great relationship for 6.5 years. They follow me around, come when I call, and gaze adoringly into my eyes. One of them even hops right into my lap. But they do not enjoy being touched. I respect that, and I don't push them. When I want to cuddle I go inside and find my cat.

I recommend that you don't force your ducks because they will associate you with a negative experience. Just give them as many positive experiences with you as possible, and don't be scary. They might decide touching is ok, but if not appreciate them for what they are.

Yes it is normal for muscovy and Ducks in general to not really like being touch unless they were raised very closely with lots of snuggles every day, and even if they are some ducks just won't end up liking being pet. Out of my 3 muscovy girls one of them loves being pet, one of them likes it but only sometimes, she will come up to me when she wants to come up on my lap for snuggles but if I try to approach her to pet her she will walk away from me, and my other girl doesn't like being touched at all, just work with the ducks at their own pace.

In my admittedly short experience with ducks (Welsh Harlequins), sitting on the ground while you're giving them treats and giving them the opportunity to touch you, not the other way around, helps them overcome their instinctual fear. One male is even totally okay being picked up now (he just chills in your hands, while all of the rest get incredibly upset) and the rest will tolerate gentle nudges and pats. Just be patient and don't force things (my basic advice for all animal interactions, honestly).

It is common for ducks to not enjoy being touched. My ducks and I have had a great relationship for 6.5 years. They follow me around, come when I call, and gaze adoringly into my eyes. One of them even hops right into my lap. But they do not enjoy being touched. I respect that, and I don't push them. When I want to cuddle I go inside and find my cat.

I recommend that you don't force your ducks because they will associate you with a negative experience. Just give them as many positive experiences with you as possible, and don't be scary. They might decide touching is ok, but if not appreciate them for what they are.
Thank you for the good advice. I have a cat, too, and he is just as picky about when he wants me to pet him. I guess all petting will go to my dogs who love it!

:goodpost:

Thank you for the good advice. I have a cat, too, and he is just as picky about when he wants me to pet him. I guess all petting will go to my dogs who love it!
There's always at least one in the crowd who loves to be touched right?
My Muscovy are old 14 down to age 9 and only one of them doesn't mind being touch and he was the one who got rejected by his mama and I raised him. He thought he was one of the dogs for a while.

Back
Top Bottom