My Ducks and Chickens Are Dying!

jillmk

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 25, 2012
My ducks and chickens are dropping dead. Two weeks ago we came home to a dead Pekin duck. Then a few days ago we found a dead chicken under the chicken coop. Today, we found another dead Pekin. They never had any scratches on them or lost feathers. Please Help!

My ducks and chickens are dropping dead. Two weeks ago we came home to a dead Pekin duck. Then a few days ago we found a dead chicken under the chicken coop. Today, we found another dead Pekin. They never had any scratches on them or lost feathers. Please Help!
How old? give us an idea of your setup, feed ,any symptoms you may have noticed. We need more info. and so sorry for your losses.

Around 8 months. We have the ducks in a little barn/shed and the chickens in a coop at night. We feed them scratch, kitchen scraps, and let them free range all day. The first duck that died seemed to act different for few days, then looked better, then died. The other duck and chicken I haven't noticed any symptoms, they looked alright.

Around 8 months. We have the ducks in a little barn/shed and the chickens in a coop at night. We feed them scratch, kitchen scraps, and let them free range all day. The first duck that died seemed to act different for few days, then looked better, then died. The other duck and chicken I haven't noticed any symptoms, they looked alright.
Could they have eaten something that is making them sick then killing them? You say you let them range which is good I do mine also, but scratch is not a wholesome diet for ducks/chickens at any age, they need other nutrients that duck/chicken feed will give them. There is a sticky at the top of the duck thread that gives info on what to do if you think your ducks have eaten something toxic. When you say your duck acted different can you explain how?

I might have been something toxic. The duck had been slower. She had kind of acted like she was sick. The day before she died she had acted a lot better and I wasn't worried about her. A few days before she died she was away from the rest of the ducks, but only for a while. Besides that day I haven't seen her that farther away from the other ducks.

Could they have eaten something that is making them sick then killing them? You say you let them range which is good I do mine also, but scratch is not a wholesome diet for ducks/chickens at any age, they need other nutrients that duck/chicken feed will give them. There is a sticky at the top of the duck thread that gives info on what to do if you think your ducks have eaten something toxic. When you say your duck acted different can you explain how?

That would be my guess. Either they are eating something they shouldn't - or not eating something they need (i.e. their diet is lacking in nutrients that they need).

You mentioned feeding kitchen scraps. What exactly did you feed them? Some things we eat are toxic to birds.

Wild mushrooms? I know I have mushrooms popping up all over right now. I haven't seen my ducks touch them, but it's just a thought.

If i was you I'd do a flush on them all just to make sure if it's a toxin it gets out of their systems. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213 I'd start with the molasses flush, and go RIGHT by the directions. I'd walk my property and look for anything suspicious plants, dead animals etc. any poison been put out? any one spray any chemicals lately even neighbors? mushrooms we are getting them right now too, when I step on them smokey powder comes out, I've been getting rid of them. I think most animals know instinctively to stay away from something but maybe not young ones.

Back
Top Bottom