My Ducks are coming my ducks are coming!

Teresaann24

Songster
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
Eastern, Kentucky
I placed a order for 5 blue swedish ducks 4 females and 1 male. I have been calling everyday Ideal has been open to see if they got my payment. They called me today to say they got my payment and my shipment would be sent out on monday!! I am so excited!!! I have the brooder ready...got the feed! Now the wait!!!!!!!!!!! It's gonna be so hard.

These will be my 1st EVER ducks. I chose the breed because I have heard so much good things about them!!!

I have some Q's if anyone can help me out!

1. Do ducklings Imprint on you like Goslings do?

2. I got their feed at the TSC I didn't know what kind to get so I asked the guy who runs its. He usally helps me out with everything I need. He gave me a Starter grower for game birds with a duck and 2 other types of birds on it. Is this ok food?

3. I didnt wanna use pine shavings for my ducks so I am gonna use Puppy training pads. Is this ok?

4. How old are they when they begin to feather? How soon can I let them go outside?

5. Do they grow faster then chicks and if so how much so?

6.When should I allow them to swim? I was told once they began to feather in.

7. I plan on having them caged (Due to evil killing dogs around) How big should their pen be for 5 ducks.

8. Is 1 drake ok for 4 girls?

9. Can I use a kiddie plastic swimming pool for them in their run?

10. Are they good egg layers?

11. Do they go broody?

Ok I will stop there if I think of more I will post them..LOL

Picture of brooder:
13823_brooder.jpg

Thanks ahead of time for all who can help me!

EDITED: FOR PIC OF BROODER AND TO ADD MY Q'S..LOL

Last edited:
1. Do ducklings Imprint on you like Goslings do? If they are raised in small groups. I doubt yours will.

2. I got their feed at the TSC I didn't know what kind to get so I asked the guy who runs its. He usally helps me out with everything I need. He gave me a Starter grower for game birds with a duck and 2 other types of birds on it. Is this ok food? It's fine food.

3. I didnt wanna use pine shavings for my ducks so I am gonna use Puppy training pads. Is this ok? I can't help you with this, but I just use straw. It works fine.

4. How old are they when they begin to feather? How soon can I let them go outside? Mine start to feather at about 3 weeks. You can let them go outside at around 3 or 4 days as long as you are watching them.

5. Do they grow faster then chicks and if so how much so? Don't have chickens...

6.When should I allow them to swim? I was told once they began to feather in. I let mine swim on day 3. It really is fine, you just have to watch them and make sure they don't drown.

7. I plan on having them caged (Due to evil killing dogs around) How big should their pen be for 5 ducks. As big as you can manage. I would say the least is probably 5x8.

8. Is 1 drake ok for 4 girls? You may not get the best fertility rates, but it should be fine.

9. Can I use a kiddie plastic swimming pool for them in their run? Yup, just dump it out and refill eveyday.

10. Are they good egg layers? Not bad. Mine lay about 200 a year.

11. Do they go broody? Mine rarely went broody.

The puppy pads will be fine but just to let you know they will become totally saturated w/water & poo in a veeeery short time. I've been using them for a few days & I've had to change them out a minimum of 4 times a day. I didn't want my new ducklings to eat the pine shavings sooooo am using them but will be taking them off the shavings in the next day or so.

Answer to #5 - they grow MUCH faster than chicks, but do not feather out as fast. I have 10 day old chicks with wing feathers and the 2 wk old ducklings have tripled in size but are still totally fuzzy. No feathers at all.

I KNOW they grow while I'm at work, and overnight. I'm telling you, it's scary how quickly they grow! Ducks put energy into increasing size, whilst chickens put energy into feathers, first.

Thank you all for the information! All is welcome the more the better! I figure I'v got a week to kill so why not fill it with as much information as I can.

Back
Top Bottom