My ducks are dying randomly

Angiportum

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 6, 2014
Hi all, this is my first post, but I've used this site to answer a lot of my duck questions. I'm a first-time duck owner; my hubby and I bought 21 ducks - 2 Pekins, 6 Indian Runners, and 13 Muscovies - about a month ago. They were all around 2 weeks old at that time. I lost two within the first week which I expected. We moved them out to a shed a few weeks ago. They stay in there at night and move between the shed and a penned in area during the day. They've been fine that way until this last week when we lost six - none of them showed signs of sickness (that I can tell). They get fresh water and food each day and all acted normally until all of a sudden they are dead. Overall, we've lost four runners and the rest were Muscovies. The Pekins are fine. Is this just how it goes with young ducklings? Has anyone had this happen before? Any thoughts on what might be happening? Any ideas are much appreciated!

No this is not how it goes at all! You should have the dead ducklings vet tested. You definitely have an outbreak of disease.

my concern is the bedding. if your using hay or straw it could be moldy. if so clean it out and use wood chips. they don't mold and stay dry longer. I lost a nesting goose to grass clippings my son put in the coop. it ate some after it molded and died a couple days later.

I can vouch for hay getting moldy quickly in the summer months. I find in the winter it is fine, but straw is preferred, we use hay when we can because we have horses and naturally have hay.

Back
Top Bottom