My ducks are not getting along after one was separated from them because of an injury

saraid1029

In the Brooder
May 24, 2020
Hello, I made another similar post about this issue but that was before I tried putting them back together. I have 3 pekin ducks and a couple of weeks ago one of them was attacked in which I separated her, kept her in the guest bathroom for a while so she could heal. Now I have her on the porch in a fairly large blow up pool because her wound is almost completely healed, there's just a bit of scab left and her feathers are coming back in.

The first time I tried putting the three back together they were fine at first and then about an hour or so later I noticed them picking at her back where the wound was. I moved her back into the porch but she was very upset. She was quacking at the top of her lungs off and on for a couple of days, I think it upset her more to be put back together and then separated again. I bought some blue-kote and sprayed where her skin is visible and tried putting them together again. This time they were biting each others bills and I noticed one of them pushing her. Nothing extremely aggressive but it definitely was not normal behavior. I think the blue-kote helped somewhat because they didn't pull at any feathers but I still saw them put their heads close to her back once or twice like they wanted to bite.

I'm really concerned because once again she's very upset to be back on the porch and quacking super loud but I also don't want to leave her with the other two and risk her getting hurt or one of the other ones getting hurt. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can get them to get along? Do I just have to leave them together and keep an eye on them until they get used to each other? Thanks!!

Do you have a way of fencing her close to them so they can all see each other but the two can’t get to her? This is very similar to introducing a new duck to the flock we rec having them live side by side for a while till they get use to each other.

Do you have a way of fencing her close to them so they can all see each other but the two can’t get to her? This is very similar to introducing a new duck to the flock we rec having them live side by side for a while till they get use to each other.
Yeah I actually have a make shift fenced in area that I keep their coop in! Do you think it's best to put her in the fenced in area and let the other two have the rest of the backyard or vice versa? My only concern is that the other two are familiar with the coop area while Blitz(the one that was injured) is not. I bought the coop right after she was attacked and put it in the fenced area which the two go into at dinner time.

Back
Top Bottom