My ducks aren't laying - Help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by skya328, Dec 4, 2013.

1. skya328

skya328 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    I have 10 females and 2 (maybe 3) males. This is my third winter with them. I used to get about 9 eggs per day, it didn't matter what the season. Toward the end of summer the amount of eggs started to drop off. I thought maybe it was seasonal/molting/etc. Well, it has been about 2 or 3 months now that I have been getting almost no eggs. For the last couple weeks I may have gotten 6 eggs total. I am soooo frustrated. I'm used to the chickens slowing down in the winter, but the ducks? The reason I got them in the first place is that I knew they'd lay more consistently. I keep telling the girls that they don't want to know what happens when ducks get fired...

Does anyone have any ideas? The only issue I can think of is maybe the duck that I think is a boy. My neighbors brought it over when it was a duckling...about 3 or 4 weeks old. They found it and it had supposedly been abandoned. I think it's a Muscovy. (it was the ugliest duckling I had ever seen!) I was told by one of my customers that Muscovy drakes eat a ton, and could possibly be eating the eggs, too. I check the duck yard several times a day and there are no eggs at all. Or evidence of broken ones.

I'm sorry for such a long post, but I'm really at a loss. [​IMG] I'd appreciate any input on this. I'm losing so much money on feed without being able to sell their eggs!

Here's a pic of a few of them the other day- including the one I suspect is a Muscovy. He's the dark one on the left. Am I right...Muscovy drake?
    [​IMG]

2. TheReadyBoys

TheReadyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    P.E.I, Canada
    My ducks aren't laying either. I would like to know why as well.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Short days and sometimes them girls just need a break.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yes that's a Scovy and your ducks are beautiful. of course as they age they are going to slow down in laying but I doubt very seriously your Muscovy is eating the eggs, Never heard of such a thing and I have had Muscovy's going on 10 yrs. They are great ducks too. I'm thinking your ducks have taken a break from laying most of mine have gone through molt did yours in the fall? and it takes sometimes a couple months to get back in rhythm. What are you feeding them? layers needs a really good balanced feed and also extra calcium to keep laying those nice thick shells, Are you saying the only reason you have your ducks is to get the eggs to sell? are your ducks mating right now? sometimes over mating can cause egg production to decrease also.

5. skya328

skya328 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Dallas, TX

Thank you! I love having a variety. The Runners are crazy little things. Not the smartest, but very cute. I originally got the ducks for entertainment. Then I started selling their eggs. I got used to having them available for people, and now have none. I feed them layer pellets from the feed store. I don't see them mating at all right now. I didn't notice the ducks molt. About 2/3 of my chickens are molting right now, though. I'm just out of luck all around. Molting chickens = almost no eggs. Ducks = no eggs. Guineas = out of season, so no eggs.
    [​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It can be frustrating but we all need a break once in a while, My Muscovy's stopped laying in early Sep. went into molt and I know from having them so many years not to expect eggs till next spring, My chickens laid just about continuously last winter but they all went through their big molt some were almost naked, and after 2 months I have some finally starting back into lay. Whew am I glad I hated the thought of having to buy from the store, very spoiled after 4 yrs of getting fresh chicken eggs. So be patient before you know it you'll be back in business again. I have 2 chickens who very rarely lay an egg anymore one going on 6 the other going on 5, They are still with me and will be till the end, they just bring me joy. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by