My ducks got BIG!! WHAT DO I DO!?

Poultry_Mom1300

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2020
I need some advice. My Indian Runner ducklings are in the in between stage of getting quill feathers but can't go outside yet. They are currently 3 weeks old. They are pooping proficiently, are very big (each of them are 1 pound or larger), emitting quite a lot of dust, and SMELL, BADLY! My question is how do you brood 6 large ducklings (yes, we have 6) indoors (no broody hen), for the last 4 weeks before they go outside??? We have exceptional systems in place for poop management and they are still busting through all of our poop measures.

For example: we were encouraged to put them in a LARGE dog crate which worked GREAT!!!! Until last night when we put them in the bathroom for the first time and on top of cardboard (it was surrounding them) and they still managed to get POOP on the walls when they did not even touch them. They also completely saturated all the towels, puppy pads and rubber shelf liners we had as bedding. Saying they stank is an UNDERSTATEMENT. We are thinking of splitting them into 2 brooders and rotating the groups so they don't get clique-y (Even though they already are. We are trying HARD to socialize them properly!!!). What should I do!? Does anyone have any good ideas!?

Let me first ask you where you are?

It would be helpful if you had your location under your avatar picture.

Simple to do and really helps people help you. Just go to the top right where your "BYC name" is and click. A drop-down menu will take you to “Account Details”. If you put your location there it will always be under your picture.

Ok, so now that is out of the way I can only guess but let's pretend you are in the US right? I would think that wherever you are in the US at this time of the year it's pretty warm now? See, that is the key to helping you with this!

If that is the case I can't see any reason why they'd still have to be in your house! My babies were outside full time at 3 weeks but I am in Georgia.

I am in Western Washington and it is still quite chilly. Especially at night... I don't know if they would get chilled or not... Should I put a heat plate outside with them so they stay warm? And I don't have fencing or protections in place for predators. Would my garage work if they won't get chilled?

I am in Western Washington and it is still quite chilly. Especially at night... I don't know if they would get chilled or not... What do you think?
I am all for getting them outside as soon as possible !

When you say chilly - whats your average day and night temps.

Your birds sound like they are, erm, well covered so should be ok in a secure run outside with a house for the evening - I probably wouldnt be free ranging them or letting them swim unsupervised.

Good luck !

I am all for getting them outside as soon as possible !

When you say chilly - whats your average day and night temps.

Your birds sound like they are, erm, well covered so should be ok in a secure run outside with a house for the evening - I probably wouldnt be free ranging them or letting them swim unsupervised.

Good luck !
Our night temps range from the low 50's to high 50's. During the day, they are from mid 60's to high 70's. And Thank you for the advice!

I would be putting them outside away from drafts and in a secure run (so that includes a roof) with a house attached, plenty of sawdust.

With those temps, I wouldnt be giving them a splash tray but as soon as its gets warmer, i'd add it in.

For the evenings they need to be locked up in a house thats warm - whether thats very clean hay (the sort you get in pet stores for guinea pigs) or you get a warming plate in there that they can huddle under (height adjustable for your monsters), they just need to be warm enough.

I would say I think I am being overly cautious to account for their age and internal development and ignoring their large size, the fact that they sound super robust and like they are thriving !

Once outside you will see the signs that you need to add things or take them out.

Congrats on the ducklings !

Thank you so MUCH! I was very lost!! One more thing... could I raise them on a deck? Because I have one (a deck) and I think it MIGHT work... I think it would be safer...?

You're killing me!!!!

If my wife wasn't always forthright with me, I'd swear you were her!!

I'm probably going to wind up blocking the deck rails with plywood and then use square wire from the top of the rail to the ceiling.

Lucky for me there's an outlet handy!

I'm a newbie so I can't give any advice. But I can share what we're doing and we seem to be in a similar situation, except I'm in FL where it's very hot. You asked about the garage or patio, and we're doing both. My 6 ducklings are 4weeks and won't even stay in the kiddie pool if one of us isn't there too.

We have one of those child pens in the garage and we put a tarp down first, then a cheap plastic table cloth from the dollar store. I feel bad using so much plastic, but I figure it's no different than a trash bag and it makes clean up much easier. We roll it or tie it up and toss it. And it's a temporary solution.

We have a similar thing going on the patio. We take them there every afternoon. They have a little area in the yard to explore--though they're only mildly interested--and the kiddie pool.

I'll attach a photo of our set up. It was the best thing we could come up with. Given we didn't know what we were in for getting 6 baby ducklings. We thought we knew, but we were WRONG!

Attachments

• 20200716_105510.jpg
    20200716_105510.jpg
    615.3 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom