My ducks hatched an egg! What now?

Knuckleballer25

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2019
Hi there! I’ve had my flock for two years and this is the first time I’ve had any ducks sit on a nest. It was one at first but there were so many eggs now there’s a second and they both sit on all of the eggs together. I just walked to the barn to check on them and there’s one baby duckling. It’s alive and made all kinds of sounds when the females walked away for just a minute. The weather here is 64 with a low of 40 and That will continue throughout the week.

I separated the whole flock from the two female ducks and their nest with the one duckling. What do I do next? Do I need to take the duckling and put it in a brooder? Is it too cold to let the mother ducks take care of it? Their nest is right in front of the door to go out to their enclosed pen. I can shut the door at night.

Help!

Hi there! I’ve had my flock for two years and this is the first time I’ve had any ducks sit on a nest. It was one at first but there were so many eggs now there’s a second and they both sit on all of the eggs together. I just walked to the barn to check on them and there’s one baby duckling. It’s alive and made all kinds of sounds when the females walked away for just a minute. The weather here is 64 with a low of 40 and That will continue throughout the week.

I separated the whole flock from the two female ducks and their nest with the one duckling. What do I do next? Do I need to take the duckling and put it in a brooder? Is it too cold to let the mother ducks take care of it? Their nest is right in front of the door to go out to their enclosed pen. I can shut the door at night.

Help!
They will care for it but i would close the door at night

Back
Top Bottom