My ducks hate being outside!

JLynnsDuckies

Chirping
Apr 8, 2015
Minnesota
I have two 6 week old Pekin ducklings... Because of the weather they haven't been outside much. It's been fairly cold and rainy. We are finally getting some good weather and their outside enclosure and house will be done within the week. Today I put them outside in a covered puppy pen right outside the door to give them some sunshine and get them used to be outside without me. I didn't go well at all! Unless I am out there with them they just cry out. I gave them about 20 minutes and talked to them through the screen door but every time I walked away they would continue to cry. I'm not sure what I am going to do if being outside without me causes so much distress for them! They need to go in their pen when it's finished as they are quickly outgrowing their inside pen and having them inside full time is NOT an option. Any ideas as to what I should do aside from moving into their duck house with them? Anyone else have a similar expirience? Help!!!

I'm not at this point yet but what I would do in this situation is stay outside with them for a while do yard work or even just play with them in or out of the pen preferably in so they get use to it more (do they still sleep inside?) After an hour of being outside go in for about 20 min. Then go spend another hour or so with them. Keep increasing the time you go away slowly but always make sure to go back out so they don't feel abandoned. Hopefully by next week when their pin is finished they'll understand that you're still there but just not in seeing range all the time. I hope this makes sense in my head it was easy putting it to words not so much :)

I'm not at this point yet but what I would do in this situation is stay outside with them for a while do yard work or even just play with them in or out of the pen preferably in so they get use to it more (do they still sleep inside?) After an hour of being outside go in for about 20 min. Then go spend another hour or so with them. Keep increasing the time you go away slowly but always make sure to go back out so they don't feel abandoned. Hopefully by next week when their pin is finished they'll understand that you're still there but just not in seeing range all the time. I hope this makes sense in my head it was easy putting it to words not so much :)
They are still sleeping inside... when I bring them out I do play with them and usually don't put them in their outside puppy pen like today. They just follow closely wherever I go. My intention was to have them imprint on each other but I am pretty sure they imprinted on me! I thought if you get them at a few days old that they wouldn't imprint on you. I love them and want them to be happy! I guess I will give that a shot and see what happens. I can't leave them outside without an enclosure of some sort due to a pair of eagles eagerly waiting for a quick meal, which may or may not play a part in my ducklings wanting me with them. Knowing me I will have to camp out with them the first few nights!

Last edited:
They are still sleeping inside... when I bring them out I do play with them and usually don't put them in their outside puppy pen like today. They just follow closely wherever I go. My intention was to have them imprint on each other but I am pretty sure they imprinted on me! I thought if you get them at a few days old that they wouldn't imprint on you. I love them and want them to be happy! I guess I will give that a shot and see what happens. I can't leave them outside without an enclosure of some sort due to a pair of eagles eagerly waiting for a quick meal which may or may not play a part in my ducklings wanting me with them. Knowing me I will have to camp out with them the first few nights!
aweh haha camping could actually be fun! They'll be fine soon everything in life takes time to get use to. My dad has a duck who is a few years old and they still have her sleep indoors and outside all day (they do not have an enclosure for her) but a lot of the time she doesn't even want to come in at night anymore. They'll see how.much more fun they can have outdoors how nice the weather feels and that they can swim! And then there will be no problems. As for the eagles would they really try to.get them at that big?!

aweh haha camping could actually be fun! They'll be fine soon everything in life takes time to get use to. My dad has a duck who is a few years old and they still have her sleep indoors and outside all day (they do not have an enclosure for her) but a lot of the time she doesn't even want to come in at night anymore. They'll see how.much more fun they can have outdoors how nice the weather feels and that they can swim! And then there will be no problems. As for the eagles would they really try to.get them at that big?!
I've been told eagles can actually pick up something the weighs 40 lbs and under! They circle over head when I'm out with them and have actually swooped and fought a few feet above my head. We have plenty of predators here as we live by a river. Eagles, hawks, raccoons, fox, and cayote... Just to name a few! We pretty much have to make their enclosure like Fort Knox!

This is their enclosure and house so far. Excuse the mess. Hubby is a messy worker but I can't complain he's doing an awesome job!

That sure puts the house a built last week to shame :) My two week old Muscovy ducklings are fine in the pen all day. I drop them in the morning around 5AM and around 7 to 8PM they start chirping. I bring them in and keep them inside for the night.

I have a feeling this will come to an end as they grow older and become more independent.

I agree with @fourkidsandduck that is a beautiful sturdy home, and they will learn soon. As for the eagle thing that is crazy I haven't seen eagles around here hawks either we live in a neighborhood so maybe there is not too much space for them? Ugh that scares me still though I may have to do a little more proofing on the house we have haha

I agree with @fourkidsandduck that is a beautiful sturdy home, and they will learn soon. As for the eagle thing that is crazy I haven't seen eagles around here hawks either we live in a neighborhood so maybe there is not too much space for them? Ugh that scares me still though I may have to do a little more proofing on the house we have haha
I have them out right now. I'm going to sit with them and then when they are busy wonder off for about 10 minutes at a time and then increase the time I'm gone like you mentioned earlier... I'm guessing in a neighborhood you won't have the same predators as when you live in the country... But, I would rather be safe than sorry! :)

Last edited:
I have them out right now. I'm going to sit with them and them when they are busy wonder off for about 10 minutes at a time and then increase the time I'm gone like you mentioned earlier... I'm guessing in a neighborhood you won't have the same predators as when you live in the country... But, I would rather be safe than sorry! :)

That sure puts the house a built last week to shame :) My two week old Muscovy ducklings are fine in the pen all day. I drop them in the morning around 5AM and around 7 to 8PM they start chirping. I bring them in and keep them inside for the night.

I have a feeling this will come to an end as they grow older and become more independent.
My hubby used to build houses for a living so this was pretty easy for him... You are lucky yours enjoy being outside! I'm sure this will be a process but they will eventually and hopefully get used to it. I'm hoping sooner rather then later though!

Back
Top Bottom