My ducks have runny poop

charly2005

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2020
Last year I got 5 ducks because the grandchildren wanted ducks. Unfortunately a few months ago something got into the pen and 4 were killed. Only 1 large "Mama Duck" was unscathed. We added a secure area for a night pen and I got 3 young Swedish black females. The 3 Swedish are now fully feathered and all 4 are on pellet food. They have a large area (about 1500 square feet) during the day and forage on all the new grass and weeds in their enclosure and now they all have runny poop. Is this normal with all the greens, etc. that they are foraging? The 3 Swedish had formed poop when I first got them.

Hi, there! Welcome to BackYard Chickens!

A picture would be very helpful, but generally, duck dropping's are fairly watery since they drink so much water, and it may be more watery as of now (Not sure of your location) because we are heading into summer where feed intake drops a bit and water intake increases due to the high temperature.

Hi, there! Welcome to BackYard Chickens!

A picture would be very helpful, but generally, duck dropping's are fairly watery since they drink so much water, and it may be more watery as of now (Not sure of your location) because we are heading into summer where feed intake drops a bit and water intake increases due to the high temperature.
Thank you. Their food intake is definitely down and they are drinking a lot, so that is probably the reason. They are otherwise acting perfectly normal and seem happy and content.

Thank you. Their food intake is definitely down and they are drinking a lot, so that is probably the reason. They are otherwise acting perfectly normal and seem happy and content.

You're are welcome! Sounds like they are just acclimating to this warmer weather, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to pay closer attention to any alterations in their behavior, waste, and if you'd like weight.

Have any more questions, fill free to post on the duck forums!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/ducks.42/

Back
Top Bottom