My ducks... just some pics and maybe you can tell me what they are :)

Quote:
It could be a pekin X, but I would think more that the place the feed store got them from had a mix-up. Do they order them from a hatchery? Most hatcheries don't sell mixed-breeds.

first one im thinking is a khaki campbell, second one is a black swedish, third one is a buff ophrington-white crested mix....maybe

Last edited:
1st could be a male saxony or a mallrd x buff like my PJ. Its definantly NOT a buff or a Rouen
gig.gif

Other than that you have a crested fawn and white runner and a black swede. Not enough irridescence for a cayuga.

And im pretty sure on my guesses since i Have a runner as well as cayuga and swedes. Never had a saxony before but do have a mutt that looksthe same. Most likly a saxony. Could be a khaki campbell but im doubting it a little.

Pssstttt....

That first drake is a khaki campbell!

big_smile.png

1002766.jpg

A khaki drake I used to have (Jack). Notice the dull yellow bill with a black "bean"?

Maybe? The blueish egg could be coming from that crested runner. Nettie has runners and hers all lay different colored eggs. Mine lays off white eggs.

blue egg could be from the swedish, they lay blue eggs. i thought fawn and white runner but the body looks too fat. first one i have no clue. sorry!

I concur with 1lpoock. The first bird definitely is carrying blue. It has to have Saxony in it or be crossed on something else that carried blue dilution. You can't get blue from Khaki or Grey (like a Rouen). It is genetically impossible. It also looks like it is carrying harlequin phase though rather than just light dilution (although both vary a lot in expression). I would normally think maybe it was a hatchery grade Saxony or a Saxony x Welsh Harlequin, but hatcheries typically do not mix breeds. The others obviously are Black Swedish and Crested Fawn and White Runner. The one with the crest is definitely not a Pekin mix.

It seems to be very common for people to assume that anything that has the wild-type mallard pattern is a Mallard or Rouen and anything that has white is a Pekin mix. This is not the case though.

Editing to add- When I say carrying blue, I should have clarified that I meant blue feather color, not egg color. As far as blue egg color, several different breeds can lay blue eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom