My ducks keep trying to rape my hen?

adpad5

Chirping
Jun 30, 2015
I have 2 magpie ducks, 1 Pekin duck and a large sandy dick, the males of the group keep trying to rape my hens(only the silkies) and they can't come down off the Perch or they get chased. Do any of yous have any info, one of the silkies raised them/hatched them soooo what's going on

This is just how drakes are, while not all but most drakes do this. This is a concern to anyone who has a drake near chickens. Drakes do this to any female may they be chicken or duck, male ducks are just violent when mating. They may be targeting the silkies because they are calm and due to the feathers on their head have a reduced range of sight so they are easy to sneak up on. You may need to just separate your ducks from your chickens if it's this bad, the hens not even being able to walk around without being attacked. Make sure the drakes haven't hurt any of the chickens since ducks have different anatomy then chickens a drake mating a hen can injure them and even be fatal.

This is just how drakes are, while not all but most drakes do this. This is a concern to anyone who has a drake near chickens. Drakes do this to any female may they be chicken or duck, male ducks are just violent when mating. They may be targeting the silkies because they are calm and due to the feathers on their head have a reduced range of sight so they are easy to sneak up on. You may need to just separate your ducks from your chickens if it's this bad, the hens not even being able to walk around without being attacked. Make sure the drakes haven't hurt any of the chickens since ducks have different anatomy then chickens a drake mating a hen can injure them and even be fatal.
This is very true you def need to remove your drakes from being able to get your hens[chickens] it will not go well at all for your chickens. @adpad5 how many female ducks do you have?

Really my drake would never go after one of my female geese they would beat the tar out of him. My geese are thugs.
We must have the biggest sissy la-la geese then. Poor Papa Goose is the one both of the dominant drakes go after. Not as frequently as the ducks, but if he (our White Chinese Gander) starts getting bossy, then the drakes chase him around until he pipes down. They've both succeeded in pinning him and our saddle-back Pomeranian down and she howls like crazy (I can't say that I blame her).
Such is life with drakes and early spring fever...

We must have the biggest sissy la-la geese then. Poor Papa Goose is the one both of the dominant drakes go after. Not as frequently as the ducks, but if he (our White Chinese Gander) starts getting bossy, then the drakes chase him around until he pipes down. They've both succeeded in pinning him and our saddle-back Pomeranian down and she howls like crazy (I can't say that I blame her).
Such is life with drakes and early spring fever...
Now Opie last year did get my gander down many times to let him know he was boss, but he hasn't ever gone after one of the female geese, and Sam the gander put Opie in his place this year so far but the year is just starting so Opie still might come out on top [literally] with Sam. Babe my youngest gander would probably have heart failure if Opie got hold of him. It's a circus it is. My Muscovy's have never worked as a team.
roll.png

Drakes don't stop at just chickens either!! My poor geese are constantly running for their lives!! Or at least their self respect...

My drakes are attacking 1 of my female geese the ignore the other female goose and my female duck's. Did you ever figure out a way to stop this. My poor Lucky goose spends all day hiding or running.

She needs to be removed from the drakes presence put your 2 geese together so the drakes can't go after them. When one will run it's all out game time for the drakes. It goes on here too 3 of my Muscovy females will stand up to my Runner drake so he leaves them alone, but My one female Muscovy will not and she runs from him which really gets him going. He knows who to pick on which makes her life miserable so him and his girls get to spend their time in another part of the fenced property during breeding season for the most part. Hopefully once geese are moved out he'll trun his attention on the female ducks just hope you have more than 1.

Back
Top Bottom