My Ducks like to eat.....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bryanccfshr, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Bryanccfshr

Bryanccfshr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2010
    Farmington , NM
    Wow! Great Responses. Duck feeders ducks have a more diverse diet than I do!

2. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    mine love:
    peas
    cheerios
    radish leaves
    cabbage
    cheesie rice
    apple diced up
    crickets
    june bugs
    flies

and their regular critter food

today they are going to try dry cat food :)

Michelle

3. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    DH would feed Mr Drake apple slices, it is the one food he did't step back and let his ducks have first. But maybe it was more of a male bonding thing between those two guys. They both love their apple slices.

Isn't it crazy how ducks just love peas, any peas, any time of day, anyway they can get them. When you bring them peas, have you feet planted firmly on the ground before calling them and hope they haven't spotted you with a dish of green before you're ready. With this young flock they could easily knock me off my feet in their excitement. The drakes are just as bad as the ducks, geeesh.

4. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine love:

PEAS
    Dry cat/dog food
    Wet cat/dog food
    hard boiled eggs
    Egg shell fm hard boiled eggs
    bugs - just about any kind
    cucumbers- the whole thing but esp. the seeds
    bologna - cut into thin little strips
    Purina flock raiser
    Seed heads off of tall grasses - I love watching them forage for this
    Most greens

5. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    EVERYTHING!

They love peas and beans. They all types of veg scraps each night in a dish of water. They do not like broccoli unless it is cooked into mush.

The neighbor feeds the squirrels peanuts so my muscovy has learned how to crack them and eat the nut. How she gets the squirrels to drop them I do not know.

Koi food and salmon are also popular. String cheese if it is shredded to look like worms is a fun treat.

My husband has fed them many bad things including a chunk of butter, grilled chicken, and part of a hamburger (not all at once). His rational was that they eat fish in the wild and meat is meat. Ugh! Now he has to ask before he can give them treats. I am still grossed out with the idea of them eating chicken. Eggs are ok but chicken is not. Yuck!

6. felicity5

felicity5 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2012
    Hi I've only recently got ducklings so I'm new to all of this and found all these foods very helpful as google offers hardly any reliable advise !

I was just wondering why cat food and is there a specific type I should get? My ducklings are about 7 weeks old :)

7. DuckieTam

DuckieTam Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2012
    Battle Mountain, NV
    Mine love lettuce and tomatoes.

But they also eat:

Olives
    Jalepeno peppers
    Green bell peppers
    Egg shells
    Carrots peels
    potato peels
    Cucumbers
    weeds
    Grass
    watermelon
    cantolope
    sunflower seeds and heads

I have a goose that will not eat anything but crumbles or green grass. Pickiest goose I have ever heard of, he/she just sits there and watches me while I watch the chickens and ducks pick through the tray of goodies.

8. Lamar Estate

Lamar Estate Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    I was told by a vet that radish leaves and potato peels were not good for them. She also stated to feed less cabbage (and broccoli/cauliflower--they can bind iodine), and avoid the group of spinach/chards (can bind calcium).

9. DirtyAnkleDucks

DirtyAnkleDucks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2012
    only going to list their top 5 favorites: watermelon, tomatoes, pumpkin, grapes, and spinach

10. Diamond88

Diamond88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2012
    Chicago
    I was thinking the same thing! I wish I ate as healthy as all these ducks do. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by