My Ducks need help

ditzyd07

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 25, 2013
Hello there can anyone please tell me what im doing wrong with my ducks...

I have asked everyone around here sad to say I live in farm land counrty and no one knows anything about ducks.

I have 6 brown baby ducks got them in march as a birthday gift from my dad they have there own pin big enough to run around and they have a swimming area witch I was told by a vet the other day that baby ducks should not be in the water until they have all there feather.. they dont have theres yet.

my problem is that there feet are cut up.. they look like deep cuts but I dont understnad what they are getting cut on there ground is soft and the only thing they walk on at the moment is wood shavings from petco. I read about bubble feet it dosnt look like that just little cuts and they have brown spots comming in on the top of there feet like molding is that bad or is that normal? I have never owned Ducks or any type of birds before and I wasnt quiet ready for them but they are now set on everything they need I think Im building them a very large play area for summer and winter use with heat lamps built in. they are still living off Crumble feed from blue seal but im really worried about there feet can someone please help me? I was told to get bandages and clean them up keep them dry so I went out and got bandages and water proof tape and cream for there feet I just want to make sure Im doing it right they are like family it may sound weird but they get the same treatment as the dogs only the best I dont even like to have them fenced in but we have to because of the fox's if anyone knows anything on this matter please email me at [email protected] U cab send pictures if you like

Hello there can anyone please tell me what im doing wrong with my ducks...

I have asked everyone around here sad to say I live in farm land counrty and no one knows anything about ducks.

I have 6 brown baby ducks got them in march as a birthday gift from my dad they have there own pin big enough to run around and they have a swimming area witch I was told by a vet the other day that baby ducks should not be in the water until they have all there feather.. they dont have theres yet.

my problem is that there feet are cut up.. they look like deep cuts but I dont understnad what they are getting cut on there ground is soft and the only thing they walk on at the moment is wood shavings from petco. I read about bubble feet it dosnt look like that just little cuts and they have brown spots comming in on the top of there feet like molding is that bad or is that normal? I have never owned Ducks or any type of birds before and I wasnt quiet ready for them but they are now set on everything they need I think Im building them a very large play area for summer and winter use with heat lamps built in. they are still living off Crumble feed from blue seal but im really worried about there feet can someone please help me? I was told to get bandages and clean them up keep them dry so I went out and got bandages and water proof tape and cream for there feet I just want to make sure Im doing it right they are like family it may sound weird but they get the same treatment as the dogs only the best I dont even like to have them fenced in but we have to because of the fox's if anyone knows anything on this matter please email me at [email protected] U cab send pictures if you like
Can you post some pictures please? How are the shavings from Petco? Are they large and hard? You say crumble feed, are you talking a chicken crumble? What is the protien % of the feed? You should have some niacin tablets or brewers yeast to add to their diet. Ducks need the extra niacin and sadly unless you can find a starter feed made especially for ducks and geese. I feed my ducks and geese Blue Seal starter-grower 22% or Purina Flock Raiser 20%. neither of these has enough niacin and I have to add it to their diet, especially when they are young.

Welcome to the forum, let's see if we can help.

If there are cuts on their feet, then something they walk on is sharp. They can seem to find trouble even when we don't see it. So you need to take some time to investigate their environment.

So, you say they have wood shavings from petco. On the label, what kind of wood?

Also, are they in a brooder at all? Just outside? What kind of shelter do they have? What's the temperature where you are?

Their swimming area - is it a kiddie pool, or a pond? Is there something in the pond or the sides of the pond that is cutting their feet?

Please tell us more about them, what they eat and when, all the details you can think of. Even if it's not directly related to their feet. If we can picture what they do, maybe we can find the problem and help you fix it.

hugs.gif

Welcome to the forum, let's see if we can help.

If there are cuts on their feet, then something they walk on is sharp. They can seem to find trouble even when we don't see it. So you need to take some time to investigate their environment.

So, you say they have wood shavings from petco. On the label, what kind of wood?

Also, are they in a brooder at all? Just outside? What kind of shelter do they have? What's the temperature where you are?

Their swimming area - is it a kiddie pool, or a pond? Is there something in the pond or the sides of the pond that is cutting their feet?

Please tell us more about them, what they eat and when, all the details you can think of. Even if it's not directly related to their feet. If we can picture what they do, maybe we can find the problem and help you fix it.

hugs.gif
Glad you're here. Also, pictures of their feet would be useful too.

wood shavings from petco. label:
there wood shavings are soft wood bedding no chemicals added.... they say its soft but there is alot of hard chunks in it.

What kind of shelter do they have?
At the moment they are in a very large dog kennel at night with a plastic bed linging. they are still small enough to run around and have room to play during they day they are in a fenced in area where there is soft grass

What's the temperature where you are? so far its been pretty warm about 50-60 degrees they have a heat lamp at night and they play out in the sun durning the day

Their swimming area - is it a kiddie pool, or a pond?
there pool is just a kiddie pool bult into the ground

Please tell us more about them,
I got them in march as babys they are brown with barley any feathers yet. I feed them Blue Seal Multi-flock Starter/Grower Crumble #50 I fill there feeder twice a day and they get alittle extra after there bath so they know they was good. there food and water dish gets cleaned every day and there bedding does to I missed one day of cleaning when I had to go to a furnal and there feet kinda swalled up I gave them a bath and new bedding they like to knock over there water dish and play in it I think alot of it is from there playing in there water and walking on there shavings.

they eat every morning by 7am and every night by 4-5 pm I fill the feeder everytime.

today I gave them a bath and try to put some disinfantant stuff blue seal told me to get but it didnt take long for them to rip it off they are smart, im going to get horse wrap next time with gause and cover up there feet.

this is some of what it looks like there are alot of deep cuts... this is not my ducks picture just one i found close to it

this is when I got them.

The pic you are showing of what's close to theirs is bumble foot. This is a staph infection so I hope you are wrong with this. The ducks appear to be Khaki Campbells. You haven't said how old they are. Their age determines how much heat they need. It would be nice to see some pictures of your birds and not just ones that look like them. The feed is okay, but you do need to add some niacin, as the feed doesn't have the dosage they need to develope properly. Please try and get some pictures of their feet before you use the Vet Wrap. This would really help alot. I really would hate to give wrong advice because I can't 'see'.

sorry this is so late i went looked up duck farms and asked them alittle on it they came over today and helped me wrap there feet they said they have never experanced something like this and Im extreamly worried about one because he is bleeding on his feet I took pictures of where they hang out for now and what there feet look like and where they are hanging out at the moment. and there place that they sleep. I hope this helps.

this is peanut she is the smallest

this is there play pin till there huge one is built

im letting them chill in there pool with out water the people who own the duck farm helped me bandage up there little feet

this is fruit loop he dont like his feet touched he is the one im really worried about the tops of his feet are bleeding

fruit loop tops of his feet the pore thing

this cage is way bigger then it looks I have shavings in it for now im not really sure to chage it to hay

they are all playing now that there feet are raped and they love hay

they have 13 acrea's of land to run around on but I want to keep them close until they are big enough to take care of them selfs my dog and them have become close friends its funny watching them all play I think bear ( my dog ) thinks they are just baby dogs because they follow him everywhere and he will bring a ball to them drop it and look at them like play with me... lol..

but like I said I have never owned any type of birds before they kinda make me nuvise because they are so small and we have alot of wild animals around that would eat them.. Im not sure if Im doing this right my dad pretty much droped them off at my door said have a fun time happy birthday. they have a heat lamp for when its really cold if it gets below 50 I usually turn it on but they are in a closed in pourch so they dont really need it now I want to say they are about 2 months old I think.. dont quote me on that I got them march 25th the first day Tractor suplise had put them out is when I got them. I have a 50 pound bag of food i got last month they said that should last a long time but I been threw a half a bag so far its been a month. but then again there is 6 of them and I feed them twice a day and they are growing fast... is it possible to over feed them? I was told to keep them out of water but I cant put them in there big pin the boys are building until they are better because there pound is built in. they have 2 water containers one for when im home and one for when im gone that we just got. it hooks to a hose an once its empty it refills its self... I like that one, its good to know I can go to work and come home and know my ducks havnt died from heat and no water...

I have been putting disinfectant ointment on there pore little feet and raping them up with vet rap every other day they way it gives time for the disinfectant to try to go threw the feet. is there anything else I can use like rubbing alchole or anything like that?

I noticed that alot of human food was bad for them like the bread thing I never new that I always fed wild birds bread and crackers never again tho... can you tell me whats good for them whats a really good treat for them.. they sit so still when i fix there feet they need a treat.

Oh my goodness what has happened to their little feet? I really don't think I have ever seen anything quite like that? so sorry, and it must be awful painful for them. It's got to be some kind of infection and treating with antibiotic salve and wrapping is a good idea, will keep out harmful bacteria but they should also have some bath time too, can you put some nice warm water in your tub and let them bathe just enough to float in? let them bath and play then gently dry them and their feet put on the antibiotic salve then wrap lightly,you want to make sure the horse wrap isn't too tight as to cut off the their circulation. Duckling and ducks need lots of protection so when making your permanent enclousure be sure to get the hardware cloth and and make their house safe from predators. Here is a link to duck treats that are safe and always make sure when feeding anything but their starter that they have grit. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/242460/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements
another excellent link on caring for ducklings.. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711
Please keep us updated on the lil ones and I hope they get through this.

Last edited:
i gave them a bath today. I usually give them a bath every day because they are messy and like to make a mess of everything... thank you for writing back I dont really know what Im doing I asked my dad to come down he said its trial and error in his words if they die oh well.. but I cant see any animal go threw that pain do you think its bumble foot? or something worse? Im learning all kinds of new things I never new about them its like having 6 kids for the first time.. they run and play on soft grass and beach sand not much to really hurt there little feet unless they are going on the tar but they pretty much stay out back and run around. it dosnt seem like it hurts them well all of them expt the one thats bleeding the pore thing. I dont really know what to do I dont want it to get worse but at the same time im not sure how to treat it. I have always had very large animals I was raised on a farm with 17 show horse and goats never chickens or ducks. thank you for the information and links you gave me I will check that out now

Ohh poor babies, some of it looks like cement burn (walking on hot cement) but I'm not an expert.. Keep us posted on them they are so adorible, looks like they are wearing socks. :)

Back
Top Bottom