My ducks today... Photo heavy

duckyfromoz

Quackaholic
10 Years
Jan 11, 2010
Australia
Ok...So as I am now finding myself with less time to myself- as my ever growing flock continues to grow- I wanted to get out the camera and get them all on one day...Now a single group shot would be out of the question...So here is a selection of photo taken when I got home from work today....
I guess I should start with the yougest...
big_smile.png
Due in two and three weeks...With more to be added tomorrow morning...

46956_fb.jpg

Three and four day old Runners..
46956_three.jpg

Two week old Runners.. Noggin is the largest......Jaynie the smallest
46956_four.jpg

One month old Runners. Two Cinnamon girls in the corner..And further back is a little white drake..Stevie- Ray, who is blind. I did hatch 8 in this lot- But sold five already.
46956_2_c_and_sr.jpg

A shot of babies of various ages... Little Jaynie is still so tiny - the same size as one who just hatched 3 days ago.
46956_4_stages.jpg

Regie my disabled house duck.
46956_reg.jpg

The adult flock....they enjoyed the rain and MUD today.... Looks like I need to find some instant turf!
46956_fb4.jpg

Oh...and last but not least...Monty , Harvey and Crumpet. I will admit...I didnt remember to take there photo earlier..... Hence the night photo...I was concentrating on not missing out on any of the Runners and I forgot my Pekins and Aylesbury.
46956_mhc.jpg

wee.gif
It's the whole flock!!! They look great! Boy little Jaynie is little, and still has that tiny baby roundness that it looks like Noggin and the other have lost. She is precious! How is she doing in with the new babies?

Thanks Inm03 and chickboss - I guess its easy to see why I love them all so much and why they are such a large part of my life. I look at them all and see so much character and personality no matter what size or age they are.

Jaynie has been in the brooder with the younger ones for about two hours now- and seems much happier. She is now the biggest of four instead of the smallest. She has been showing them how to make a complete mess of the food and water containers
big_smile.png

Noggin doesnt have such a huge head in comparison to his body anymore- He really grew fast!! Little Jaynie could almost walk between his legs.

I saw he had cloudy eyes when I checked him when I took him out of the incubator. At first I was trying to think if White Runners might hatch with blue eyes...But realised something was wrong. He wasnt walking around like the others- And kind of swayed his head from side to side- ( Hence the Name from Stevie Wonder & Ray Charles )
He would run to the food or water like the others- and used his beak against the side of the brooder to feel his way around. I shone a torch in his eye when he was 3 days old- No reaction at all. The cloudyness has gone and his eyes look normal now - but if he has any sight at all it would be 10% at most. He doesnt react to anything in front of him. He is a month old now is is doing fine. He eats and drinks on his own and although at first was a little scared if I picked him up - he now loves cuddles and will nibble on my clothes just like a normal duck when I hold them.

He was terrified the first time he had a swim- But now loves it!! It was a little sad though too- as last swim he was very sad when I pulled out the plug. He didnt realise the water was going away and wanted to keep swimming. He has the cutest smile to..his beak is slightly raised on one side ...I really must add a photo of that....Its gorgeous.

I am asking because my little guy that was having such a trouble getting out of his eggs has what it looks like one egg smaller then the other. He has been keeping them closed, and when he does open them it is mainly only one. I can't tell if they are cloudy or not though. All I know is that the last duckling that hatched three days ago now came out with its eyes open and always has them open.

P.S. Sorry to hijack
hide.gif

Last edited:
love.gif
You sure do have a variety of runners! I dont htink I could ever stick to one breed! I rescue/ adopt too many, lol. I guess thats why my specialty is mutts!

newchickmom09 - I had one hatch with different sized eyes last year. It was a drake- and he was just the sweetest guy. When I would let them out for a swim- all the others would run to the pool- but little Stompy would come and sit on my lap. He was sold on Cristmas day- BUt still wants cuddles from his new new owner! Very UN runner like. He never had any sight issues that I could tell.

Stevie - Ray only has his eyes closed when asleep. I have had some hatch very sleepy looking- But by day three they are brighter and have both eyes open. Is your little one lethargic at all - Or drinking enough? I have recently noticed that slight dehydration in a vey new duckling can cause the inner eyelid to dry out a little and they tend to keep there eyes closed more. I hope he perks up a bit for you quickly.

Goat_Walke...I used to have a mixed bunch in my yard- alot of rescues and ones I just raised for other people wanting ducks- BUt I have wanted Runners for so long - so had to stop taking in all the strays.

Back
Top Bottom