My ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Delta2 23, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    I had ducks- Sheldy and Noodle- we kept them in our garden with our chickens and they got really dirty and fat and lazy so we put them on the river. They are now very thin, hungry, have no home, but they're clean and active and like the water [​IMG] We go to feed them every couple of days. They used to sleep in an abandoned moorhen nest but a goose pair has taken over that and have laid eggs. I hope my ducks can breed too- Sheldy's a girl and Noodle's a boy.
    I was just wondering what breed my ducks could be. I know lots of stuff about chickens but not ducks. Mine are white- plain white, nothing else. Sheldy's beak is this intense yellow coulour (it's not too bright though), Noodle's beak is more pinkish and dull. They're a bit bigger than your average hen (well my chickens anyway). Sheldy squawks loudly and Noodle makes this rasping noise like he's trying to squawk but there's something in his throat. That's how I tell the gender- I read somewhere female ducks have a loud quack and drake ducks have a quiet quork.

[​IMG]

2. streemers

streemers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    sounds like pekin, pekin mix. the loud 1 is a girl mostly all girls have a good quack the boys are raspy. most male ducks have curled feathers on there hind ends
    hope that helps. could you post pics? that would help a lot;)

3. Fresh Eggs

Fresh Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Iam am just gonna say this for your well being and their health..... it is against the law to release any domestic ducks into a a river! The ducks will not know how to survive because their wild instinct was prettty much iradicated through domestication. And, if a person from lets say the Audobon Society sees them, you could lose ur ducks and get fined as well as them inbreeding with the wild population. I recomend that you build a seperate pen for em so they can be happy and safe, as well as you not having to worry about losing them.

4. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    The ducks are happy on the river- they chase away moorhens and little ducks but they're scared of geese. They've even establishedtheir own "home" area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by