My ducks

Debbiedux

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2020
Hi I am Debbie I don't have chickens but I do have ducks, a horse, a pony and a husband. I first acquired 2 Saxony ducks as they came with the house we purchased.I knew nothing about ducks but luckily they left me some feed for them.
They had a fenced in pond area and that was it. I kept them for a number of years and amazingly they seemed happy and healthy. We eventually lost them and I was heart broken saying thats it no more.

As we have a natural pond next to the house it wasn't long before I wanted some more and found ad for some apricot call duck x black East Indian ducklings needing a good home. I have had my 2 boys now for 15 years they're had a number of wives but for some reason I seem to loose the girls to preadators they all go to bed at night as husband coverted a hen coop and a rabbit hutch into bespoke homes for them. Currently have the boys a female pied muscovey and 3 female Peking (had 4 but lost 1 to fox attack thought she was going to be ok but lost her 10 days after the attack. .

The Perkins are new arrivals had them about 6 weeks and the boys chase them off the pond luckily they are afraid of the muscovey and she steps in. I am sure they will all eventually get on.

Attachments

• IMG_1349.JPG
    IMG_1349.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200710_175730.jpg
    20200710_175730.jpg
    890.1 KB · Views: 6
Hello, and Welcome to BackYard Chickens! :frow So glad you decided to join! :yesss: Make yourself at home here.

The bantams and Musvoys shouldn't have much of a problem since they can fly, but I don't see any way for the ducks to get out. There is a ramp, but it's way to steep for a Pekin let alone a duck to use.

Is that ramp the only way out of the pond?

Hello, and Welcome to BackYard Chickens! :frow So glad you decided to join! :yesss: Make yourself at home here.

The bantams and Musvoys shouldn't have much of a problem since they can fly, but I don't see any way for the ducks to get out. There is a ramp, but it's way to steep for a Pekin let alone a duck to use.

Is that ramp the only way out of the pond?
At the moment yes work in progress the other one rotted away and the water level is very low due to next to no rain. The Perkins don't have a problem but I agree much too steep.

Back
Top Bottom