My Dying Chickens!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Maria_Clara, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Maria_Clara

Maria_Clara New Egg

Jul 11, 2011
    I just lost Gloria, my pet chicken. I cried so hard. She's the cutest 1 month-old chicken. I didn't even get to take a picture of her. The rest of the flock are dying. This is not my first time to raise backyard chickens. But this is my first time experiencing this kind of situation. it looks like Mycoplasmosis. Since most of them are coughing, sneezing and have bubbly fluid in the corner of their eyes. Although some of them got well, others just died so quickly. And when I checked on Gloria's body. She had food stuck in her trachea and a tiny stone in her gizzard. What could possibly went wrong. They had food all the time. I changed their water twice everyday. There was no sign of gapeworms. They just suddenly choked to death. I can't afford to lose them all. I had 96 chickens. Now there are only 50 of them left.

Can I still save them or is it too late. 30 of them, i have bought from an agrivet store, where i had bought my chickens before and they were ok. So there's 30 from the agrivet store and the rest(66)i have bought from a man selling broiler chickens at a lower price. Though I can't tell now which of them came from the agrivet and which came from the man.So could it have been the problem? Could it be because they weren't vaccinated yet, unlike the ones we buy from an agrivet store? Or is it just some kind of a disease. Please help... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  2. epignosisjs

epignosisjs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Weeki Wachee, Florida
    So sorry to hear of your flocks illness. [​IMG] I can't help you with your questions, but posting them in the "Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures" forum in the main index might bring you some answers.
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] and Good luck!

3. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If there was no quarantining done, it makes me wonder if the broiler chickens carried something to the others... Yes - definitely post in the emergency section so folks can help you figure things out. [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. Sorry for your losses. You didnt quarantine the new chicks/chickens. By not doing so, a chronic respiratory disease (CRD) was introduced to your flock. Without bloodwork or a necrosy performed, there is no telling which disease it is as there are many. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    Treating
    with antibiotics will mask the symptoms, but wont cure the disease. It will usually show itself again if there are any stressful situations. You should maintain a closed flock as they will be carriers of the disease. Good luck.

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. So sorry for your losses [​IMG] Great advice given. Good luck.

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana! Sorry for your losses!! [​IMG] Hope you get it figured out!!

8. broodytood

broodytood Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Swampville, Wa!
    [​IMG] So sorry!!! [​IMG]

9. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by