My easter egger turned into a rumpless araucana in a week (Pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by MaggieRae, Sep 4, 2010.

1. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    I think she's molting. This post is in regard to Cleopatra, also called Cleo or simply Lo when she needs a clipped word to get her attention.
    In her former glory...

[​IMG]
    Check out that booty!
    [​IMG]

Now, I show you what has become of my sassy little hen...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not really sure what was going on here, but I thought it was cute.
    [​IMG]

Pretty silly, right? She kept running away, trying to keep me from snapping her picture. Poor baby. Tee hee.

My other hen, Lily, looks a little odd, too.
    [​IMG]
    And Luna
    [​IMG]

2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Well she was pretty. lol. She will be again. Cool pixs. Thanks for sharing.

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Is she molting or is somone pulling feathers? Tail feathers always seem to be the first ones they pull. Has she stopped laying?

4. MaggieRae

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:It's entirely possible someone is pulling feathers... A couple of the girls have been pecking her, but since she's on the bottom of the totem pole, that's kind of normal. I don't like it, but when I got rid of my rooster, the girls started pecking a bit. It's really died down lately.
    She has quit laying, and she lost a lot of her feathers in the past two weeks. I've been feeding a lot of BOSS and protein, because I read on here that it's good for feather-growing. I've found most of her tail feathers in odd places; For instance, in the fence like she brushed against it.

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Just make sure she doesn't have any spots that look really irritated or bloody. They will attack a red spot pirahnas! If she isn't showing any spots that are bloody it's a molt(feathers tend to fall out without bleeding) She was pretty. Extra protien is good!! You can always feed them back some of the eggs they lay, just boil or scramble them and they knock you out of the way to get their fair share, lol

6. MaggieRae

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:Don't see any red spots, just lots of feather shoots! She looks like a hedgehog.

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Poor Henny'S [​IMG]

8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Just looks like molting to me. It's that time of year and it looks like too many for just picking... unless everyone is mobbing her like a celebrity [​IMG]

9. MaggieRae

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Gosh, and she looks even worse today!

Fortunately for her, I turned my camera the horse's way instead. [​IMG]

10. pnuts

pnuts Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    i noticed that when my rooster's spurs get too long he tends to rip out my hen's feathers in that region. i trim his spurs with a dog nail clipper because hes a small silkie rooster. if you have a bigger rooster with bigger spurs there is prob another way:)
    idk if that helps but i thought i would share

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by