My Easter eggers stopped laying. Should I worry?

ggirlfarmmom

Chirping
Oct 23, 2018
Hi everybody!

First off, I am a total newbie with chickens. We jumped in last spring, and despite research, I don’t know everything yet!

I have 1 Rhode Island Red who is an absolute laying machine! Since she started laying at 23 weeks, we’ve only missed 3 days, and now she’s 18 months. My question is her sisters, my 2 Easter Eggers. They didn’t start laying until they were 46 and 48 weeks old. They payed 3-5 a week for about 6 months. Now, I’m not getting eggs from either one. They’re only 18 months old. Is this normal? Should I worry? Any ideas to help? Thank you!

Out of my 5 EE that I have only 1 is laying right now. Two of them are still too young but my other 2 older hens have shut down for business for the time being. Between molting and the days getting colder and shorter it's just normal for my girls.

They will all stop laying to molt here in the next month or so if you are in the northern hemisphere. They generally won't resume until early spring.
They will all stop laying to molt here in the next month or so if you are in the northern hemisphere. They generally won't resume until early spring.
Thank you! We’re in Utah. Spring is so much better than never again!

Out of my 5 EE that I have only 1 is laying right now. Two of them are still too young but my other 2 older hens have shut down for business for the time being. Between molting and the days getting colder and shorter it's just normal for my girls.
At least I’m not alone! I love my eggers I at least have hope we may see more green gems!

At 18 MO (to 22 MO) They are ready to molt, they will stop laying and change feathers (look kinda like exploded dust mops, feathers everywhere). A high protein feed is good now, it will help them grow new feathers a bit faster.
I use lights (13.5 hours) all winter and keep birds of all ages. The young girls (5 months) are just starting to lay as the old girls shut down to molt.
I have EEs,,,

Thank you, that is so good to know! I was worried about the feather bombs. Molting never crossed my mind. Some days I wonder how my girls put up with me.

Back
Top Bottom