My EE Barks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by undercoverchickenlover, Dec 17, 2010.

1. undercoverchickenlover

undercoverchickenlover Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2010
    My sweet Easter Egger, Honey is usually very quiet and shy. I think she may be about 6 months old and I haven't gotten an egg from her yet but that's okay since it's really cold and rainy here right now. My worry is that yesterday when I came out with treats she sounded off at me with this high pitched yap sound. Not to today though. But I'm concerned maybe she has a cold? Was that a cough? What are the signs of unhealthiness? No missing feathers, no bugs in the coop that I can see, the girls usually eat everything they can catch. What do you think that strange sound was about?

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I have an EE lady about 5 and a half months old who makes a very high pitched loud sneezy noise. I think sometimes they just come up with their own noises. Also, are you POSITIVE it's a hen? It might be a boy trying to crow...

3. undercoverchickenlover

Dec 17, 2010
    Honey has a very tiny comb coming in.... no wattle at all.... What age did your EE start laying? Thanks for your reply.

4. The Fairy Godmartyr

The Fairy Godmartyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    My EE's are right about 6 months old and have only been laying for a few weeks. Maybe she's getting ready to lay and is PMSing at you? [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    My EE's were born April 25. They just started laying one before Thanksgiving and one after. They are usually quiet, but they did start making PMSing noises when they got closer to laying.
    I dont remember it sounding like a cough. But you never know.
    Watch the eyes, they should be bright and alert.

6. cackleberrycoop

cackleberrycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Montana
    Can you post a pic of your chicken?

7. undercoverchickenlover

Dec 17, 2010
    I'll get a pic of her tomorrow and post it. Thanks

8. turbo13

turbo13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    COEUR D'ALENE IDAHO
    Quote:HI. My EE does the same thing.makes a barking sound.She flys on to my shoulder and and makes that sound.I had to rehome my EE roo.I just found out that he also makes that sound. Maybe its a EE trait.

9. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    I have BO that barks. High pitched barking sound, really no other way to describe it. It's not a cough or a sneeze. Our ee's were born April 5. They all started laying at about 20 weeks. I THOUGHT. Until just last week we started getting an extra large sized olive green egg. Guess Ruffles was free loading all this time. That would make her about 30 plus weeks.

10. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    One of my EEs is the same age as yours and makes that sound too, and I've heard one of my White Rocks do it too - but not very often. It seems to be more when they're startled.

It's funny how they all have their individual sounds, I have several chickens that I can recognize by voice alone (some more pleasant than others!). My "barking" EE makes adorable high-pitched warbling sounds - more like a songbird than a chicken. My Black Stars, on the other hand... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by