My EE roo is very lethargic!

Kirsche09

In the Brooder
Nov 27, 2018
I went to the coop this morning to let everyone out and while the hens we're excited for the morning forage, my roo didn't. He slowly came out after a couple mins and then just layed on the ground. It's pretty chilly here this morning in NW WA, about 30 degrees F. We don't have any type of heating source in the coop, just orchard grass. As he was acting fine yesterday, I thought maybe he just got too cold? We brought him in the house and bundled him up with a blanket, but he hasn't moved or opened his eyes much. We rescued him less than 2 weeks ago and he hasn't shown any signs of anything being wrong until this morning. We already love this little snuggler sweetie and don't want to lose him! (Yes he has a terrible case of cross beak if that could have anything to do with it? We make sure to give him his own mash by himself but maybe he hasn't been getting enough??)

Attachments

• JPEG_20181203_092553_367442903.jpg
    JPEG_20181203_092553_367442903.jpg
    486.2 KB · Views: 14
Poor guy doesn't look good.. Is he eating and/or drinking at all?
Nothing yet this morning. Tried setting his mash out and tried to coax a green bean into his mouth but he wouldn't even open his eyes. He opens them for a second when I pick him up but quickly goes back to sleeping.

Sudden illness such as this can often come from exposure to bacteria and mold. Where has this rooster been foraging? Has he been free-ranging near a compost pile where spoiled food has been tossed? Have you checked the feed for spoilage? It would have a very unpleasant odor.

Sudden illness such as this can often come from exposure to bacteria and mold. Where has this rooster been foraging? Has he been free-ranging near a compost pile where spoiled food has been tossed? Have you checked the feed for spoilage? It would have a very unpleasant odor.
He's just been foraging around our yard; nothing he could've gotten into. Our feed is all new also. I did read a post about possible mold and mildew from the coop, between all the poop and dander and such, but we cleaned our coop just the other day and put a bunch of new orchard grass down hoping to keep them warm. We only have 2 hens and him as far as chickens go, but they all sleep together.

Welcome to BYC! So sorry your rooster is sick. :hugs is there any chance you could get him in to see a vet? I say this because he looks very close to death in your picture and there are so many things that could be wrong. :hugs
Thanks! We're thinking about just taking him in. We got him from a guy for free, we assumed because of his beak. We're fairly new to having chickens; we came home after vacation a few months ago and found a neighbor's hen had adopted us lol.
I did just read about possible frost bite? His comb has a couple small black dots?

Thanks! We're thinking about just taking him in. We got him from a guy for free, we assumed because of his beak. We're fairly new to having chickens; we came home after vacation a few months ago and found a neighbor's hen had adopted us lol.
I did just read about possible frost bite? His comb has a couple small black dots?
Whatever is wrong with this guy, it isn't frostbite. If you are willing and your vet will see him, I'd get him in ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom