My EE..roo or hen :)

I politely suggest the very opposite if you are going to keep a roo. Do NOT make him a pet or feed him out of your hand, I suggest taking a very hands off approach starting immediately if you plan on keeping him or finding a home for him that doesn't mean an immediate stew pot.
EVERY SINGLE "pet" rooster that I've ever taken in has attacked me at some point in time. One 1 of my own non-pet roos have ever attacked me. I keep at least 8 roosters at any given time and I need them all to generally get along and I don't want to have to watch my back every time I'm out in the coops. I will not tolerate a mean rooster, there are plenty of good ones out there so there's no point in putting up with the bad ones IMO.
Good luck with your future guy.

Last edited:
I politely suggest the very opposite if you are going to keep a roo. Do NOT make him a pet or feed him out of your hand, I suggest taking a very hands off approach starting immediately if you plan on keeping him or finding a home for him that doesn't mean an immediate stew pot.
EVERY SINGLE "pet" rooster that I've ever taken in has attacked me at some point in time. One 1 of my own non-pet roos have ever attacked me. I keep at least 8 roosters at any given time and I need them all to generally get along and I don't want to have to watch my back every time I'm out in the coops. I will not tolerate a mean rooster, there are plenty of good ones out there so there's no point in putting up with the bad ones IMO.
Good luck with your future guy.

Sorry I think you misunderstood me. I inherited that first calm docile rooster, and he just happened to be the kind that liked treats and human contact. Lived till he was twelve. Never attacked. But I totally agree with you. I don't think you can MAKE that. It might be breed, genetics who knows? You could try to make a pet of a rooster and it could be a pet or a demon. You could be very hands off respect ma authority with a rooster and it could become a pet or a demon. It's a bit of a crap shoot. With your little boy I would probably err on the side of caution. Rooster gets one chance. If he attacks you he's done. All I'm saying is that for my not so pleasant rooster, perhaps "evil" is weighting it too much, I'm personally trying to train him. That's not intended as advice for others.

Great advice here..and taking it all in. So discussed the roo situation with hubby, he said keep him if I can handle the task. Hubby grew up with farm animals..many geese attacks and nasty roos. I plan on respecting the suspected roo..I know a roo is beneficial to flock management. He will have to be penned anytime kiddie poo is outside and probably my hubby from past experiences..lol. He will get plenty of roaming time and respect. Gonna have to read up on roo maintenance, I have read some out of curiosity. Have a few off questions about roos.. Do they come easily when called..like the hens. I do have to pen hens sometimes for dog time. Easy task..hope roo complies as well. Shouldn't I handle a little..in case gets sick or to check feet or dusting? Got some reading up to do. Still could be a hen :) Thanks again for replies..will have to post follow up pic...hugs

Ok..good to know :) Studying roo tonight. Lots of useful stuff. Seems having a roo is quite the endeavor. I am not so worried about me..I am quite alpha when it comes to animals. Wonder about other things in the environment..like would a roo attack my 18 year old dog..she goes out with hens..she about the size of one..heck, she probably thinks they are dogs or she is a hen. Sweet little old lady pooch. Different approaches with kids..not walking into pen, well I have to..to open coop door. So much..lol

Roosters like to be with their hens, so they will come in when the hens come in. Neither of my roosters bothered the dog or cats or anything else. I think my aggressive rooster became that way because I was dusting his hens and they all squawked and since then he's been treating me as the threat. I'll confine him when I next need to do it so he doesn't see. But I agree that you will need to be able to handle him for care just like the others and he should have no problems with that if you start early.

I think the general advice is that some roosters can become dominant with respect to you if you treat them like a pet. Undoing that is hard, so best not to start it. But you're used to animals and will observe intelligently and then go on those instincts.

As I said I think my aggressive rooster is more motivated by fear of me than a desire to dominate me, so if I can restore a more trusting relationship he may be less of a pain.

So what says roo in my pics. .just curious :)

Back
Top Bottom