My EE rooster was doing the nasty

Well so far I have 8 EE eggs. I don't have the heart to eat them. I just keep them in the freg.
gig.gif

I guess she was getting ready. Now I have one more EE that needs to start to lay.

Here's the bad boy
c5178b20.jpg

Here's the first egg, the one on the right.

f0f2dc69.jpg

Well since your 1st post I definately have at least 3 silkie/cochins laying. They are the tiniest eggs I'll ever seen! other than a fart egg!

I had posted I thought one was laying but now I have seen them in the boxes & they are leaving the tiny eggs!

Ginbart, maybe you should blow them out & make some little Christmas ornaments with them. That is what I have been thinking of doing, just haven't had any time yet.
smile.png

The roo is very handsome too!

I can't just let him rape them all the time

If you want a roo you'll have to get used to that behavior. There isn't really "rape" with animals because pretty much every incident would be rape by human standards. Mating does not have the social aspects with animals aside from dolphins that it does with humans. When the male is in the mood he traps the female and does his job. Sometimes quite roughly. Most species are that way. When you grow up on a farm you get used to it. Yes some females do go into heat or are more accepting but the males still aren't nice about it. Unless your actually seeing injuries (a few missing feathers is normal) or the females are stressed to the point they can't move around normally and get food or water then your roo is just doing what roos do. By removing him for awhile your probably making it worse. Every time you seperate and reintroduce animals they have to go through establishing their place in the group and obsess over behaviors like mating for awhile. You can actually cause fights between animals that were otherwise getting along in herds or other groups of social animals by repeatedly seperating and putting them back together. It's very stressful for them.

I did jokingly refer to one of my buttons as having committed rape and being removed for it but in the course of maybe 6hrs while I was gone he plucked 4 females bald and tore their backs up so 2 were rather bloody. Apparently he didn't get the idea and couldn't figure out how to mate properly. The other 3 accomplish it with only some unhappy squawks and the occasional lost feather.​

My philosophy is that I don't need fertilized eggs so I don't need the rooster. The one I have is just plain mean, even pecking at DH. I couldn't stand to watch it all so I moved the boy to another pen to be fattened up to be eaten. I really don't care if it is just the "ritual" of mating or not, just won't go there.

On a happier note, my 20 week old EE just started to lay this week. I am so happy to finally see those little green eggs!

Quote:
I need a rooster for now because I would like to put some eggs in the bator soon. After that I think he's gone.

But my little green eggs are getting bigger.
wee.gif

I have an EE Bantam roo who only has one eye and has always been the low man on the totem pole. I finally got tired of everyone picking on him and gave him his own space and bought him two Cochin bantam mix pullets. He's as desperate as they come, yet he hasn't touched those two young girls. Nature always amazes me. But I pity the poor things when it gets to be their time.
sickbyc.gif

My EE roo is trying to get frisky with my red sex link...Ms Etta ain't having any of it though....
lol.png

She keeps trying to chase him off every time he comes in her "hula hoop" aka "personal space"...my teacher used to teach us in grade school that everyone should respect everyone's space inside their hula hoop....my brother and I are constantly telling everyone to get out of our hula hoops....oh, we were talking about chickens, right?

Back
Top Bottom