My EE

Angel13

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 11, 2014
Everytime our EE lays her egg (she has only laid 3) she sits on the egg and won't leave. I have to pick her up and take the egg. She gets upset but doesn't peck at me which I hope she won't start doing. What can I do if anything? Does this mean she is broody? This is our first time raising chickens so I don't know if this is normal behavior or not???? Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks,
Angel

Each bird has her own routine - some are all business and get in, lay and get out - others like to sit and think about it for a good while both before and after they have laid. It's not necessarily a sign of being broody, it may just be her particular approach to laying. Remember, this is all very new to her and she is just sorting it all out. I would suggest you let her be, eventually she'll get up and move off and you can collect her egg.

Each bird has her own routine - some are all business and get in, lay and get out - others like to sit and think about it for a good while both before and after they have laid.  It's not necessarily a sign of being broody, it may just be her particular approach to laying.  Remember, this is all very new to her and she is just sorting it all out.    I would suggest you let her be, eventually she'll get up and move off and you can collect her egg.
How long do I let her sit there? She is such a sweet girl and I feel bad having to move her just to get her egg but she sat there for over 30 mins. Thank you for your respond, like I said this is so new to us and we are trying to learn a lot by posting and reading on BYC. :D

30 minutes is not a long time for a chicken to sit on the nest. Now, if it's going on 3 hours, perhaps I'd intervene, but only if someone else was pacing outside the box with their legs crossed! Best to not disturb her. Just my uneducated opinion, but i think some girls like to stay in the nest for a while... perhaps to give the vent time to get settled back down. I wonder if some girls are a bit more prone to prolapse, and need the extra time to "settle things" down under! Comments from the experts????

Back
Top Bottom