My EE's aren't "duds" after all- laid their FIRST EGGS at 10 months!

Woofless

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2010
SD
So last April I bought my first-ever batch of baby chicks & have managed to successfully raise (most of) them to maturity with no real major issues. They're about 10 months old now.

My flock is mostly production reds, a couple of black sex-links & a handful of feed store EE's- currently two hens and a rooster (lost two last year to a neighbor's dog).

Most of the flock started laying last August at the normal age; they were all the same age (give or take a week or 2)....and by September I assumed they were ALL laying because for a while I was getting 15-16 eggs every 24 hours, from 20 hens. I figured I probably had a few birds laying daily & a few who laid every other day.

I was thrilled about the quantity of eggs- but I was a bit dissapointed that ALL of the eggs were BROWN! Different shades of brown, two birds consistently laid double yolks and one hen laid a light tan egg with speckles, I was thankful for each & every one.....but.....I had been SO excited about my EE's and the prospect of getting those greenish/bluish eggs! I'd always wanted EE chickens ever since I was a kid & read a true story in a Reader's Digest about an EE hen! So it was a bit of a bummer when my birds shut off their "egg machines" at the beginning of winter without anyone ever giving me any fancy-colored eggs.

I knew hatchery EE's could lay brown eggs, that they're "mutts" and the blue-egg gene isn't a guarantee.....so I'd long since given up on getting blue eggs from my girls. Loved 'em anyway even though I thought they were "duds" LOL....figured I'd try again with more chicks this year, from a different hatchery!

So today, I went out to feed & water....checked the nest box because I've had one or two hard-working gals giving me an egg or 2 every couple of days since January....and imagine my suprise when I found TWO GREENY-BLUE EGGS sitting next to two brown ones!! I could have jumped for joy!
wee.gif
:
yippiechickie.gif
:
ya.gif
:

I ran inside and woke up my husband from a dead sleep, just to show him that OUR EE GIRLS AREN'T DUDS AFTER ALL!! Their eggs are a lovely shade of greenish; one darker than the other, and they're small & pointy just like the first eggs I got when the other birds started laying. I tried for photos with my cell phone but the color didn't come through well- I'll try again with the real camera next time! Due to the size/shape I'm sure this has got to be their first eggs. I'd read where other people's EE's had been late-maturing egglayers but I guess I didn't think mine would wait this long to start!

So hopefully this can be encouraging for any of you who are waiting as eagerly as I was for those first few pretty blue-green eggs......it may take those EE's a little longer to warm up their egg machines! Patience!

Congratulations! What may have slowed them down was turning the six month old corner just before the cold and reduced daylight hours really kicked in.

Ha ha ha...
lol.png
They just wanted the wonderful color to be that much sweeter! And they laid on the same day? Our last two chose the same day to lay as well - they are such social chickens! Very happy for you!!!
big_smile.png
bun.gif

Back
Top Bottom