My EEs stopped laying

So far I guess I have been blessed. No matter where they are in the yard, mine always come back to the coop to lay. I have had them oh geez 3 years now?? and have yet to find a stray egg.

Aaron

My Easter Eggers have also stopped laying the last couple weeks too. They are 1.5 yrs old. I was wondering why also.
And I’m curious when you said “ Self isolating, lethargic, staying excessively in the box, hunched or penguin stance, tail pumping, not coming for treats, etc.. immediate action/assessment is suggested.” What does that behavior indicate?
I saw one of my Easter Eggers spaced out today. What’s this all about?
It's very common for second winter season layers to molt (replace feathers).. during which time they usually won't lay eggs.. and some can feel especially lousy completely changing their usual behavior, but not usually staying in the box. Feathers all over the place, under roost and such CAN be a good indicator if that's a consideration or not.

This changed a lot for my flock when I switched to "flock raiser" instead of "layer" feed (full time with oyster shell available free choice on the side).. having more protein and amino acids on board before molt even approaches (feathers despite being only 2% digestible protein in their raw form are made 90% from protein and it's amino acids).. and my two favorite birds that used to avoid me like the plague when molting now come around and even sit on my lap during that time. They enter softer molts and recover faster now.

When it includes staying in the box and the other things described it CAN be egg binding.. which is deadly fast.. within 3 days if not resolved. Usually it's easy to tell the difference between an ill bird and a broody one.. which may also stay in the box but be angry and unwieldy as opposed to sleepy with no motivation to move.

Another condition that can cause some of the things described would be internal laying, otherwise known as EYP.. egg yolk peritonitis, sometimes symptoms are similar to ascites (water belly) though with different causes.

Most birds that are just napping with no ill feeling do not stay standing up in MY experience. I do suggest you start another thread for her to figure out if she needs some help. If she isn't coming for feed and treats as usual.. then monitoring overnight or getting an assessment of her crop function is a first step to see if it's squishy full of water, flat and empty at what time of day, or kinda hard with something stuck inside. That stance in your video can sometimes mean coccidiosis in younger birds, and I don't suspect it in birds that have already been onsite long enough to have immunity built. Internal parasite load MIGHT need addressing still(is taking a fecal sample to the vet for testing an option?).. Sometimes when one weakness strikes all other things will take advantage. Still hopefully by the time I've responded now, she's already returned to normal behavior and thriving! :fl

Back
Top Bottom