My egg has changed color!

Randifoo

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2020
Ok so I know it sounds impossible . But I only have 3 chickens (Rhode Island red board Rock, and olive egger) and my only olive egger has changed color.. I used to get these beautiful colored eggs and now they are tan-ish with speckles.. for a long time I thought she just quit laying or was laying somewhere else (free range )but I found her sitting in an unused coop and sure enough her eggs changed. Is there any reason or explanation for this ? I miss my pretty eggs.

Eggs can change in shade. This is most noticeable in Olive Eggers and Marans eggs. We jokingly say "they ran out of toner", lol. That doesn't mean she won't start laying eggs with a more saturated color again but they do go in cycles and I find that I see more of the vivid coloring in Spring vs Fall, when they're tapering off for the season. As the hen ages they also seem to fade overall. I have an elderly chicken that was still laying 5 eggs a week last year (she's taking a break so we'll see if she starts laying again this year). She would occasionally lay speckled eggs and sometimes tan. She's my only bantam at the moment so I know they were her eggs.

but I found her sitting in an unused coop and sure enough her eggs changed.
I'd guess she's broody and sitting on the RIR and/or BR eggs.

Is there any reason or explanation for this ?
Egg color change didn't happen.
There are only white and blue shells.
Brown eggs have brown coating on white shells.
Green eggs have brown coating on blue shells.
The brown coating can be very light or very dark.
Then the bloom can add another aspect to the egg color.
Pink/purplish eggs are from the bloom on a brown egg.

I'd guess she's broody and sitting on the RIR and/or BR eggs.

Egg color change didn't happen.
There are only white and blue shells.
Brown eggs have brown coating on white shells.
Green eggs have brown coating on blue shells.
The brown coating can be very light or very dark.
Then the bloom can add another aspect to the egg color.
Pink/purplish eggs are from the bloom on a brown egg.
When I found her in the un used coop it was just her and the other 2 girls were laying else where so the egg that was in the un used coop was hers. It was light brown and speckled. None of my girls actually sit on their nest longer than it takes to lay . I have to incubate their eggs. And from the incubated eggs I got some beautiful chicks that I know were her babies. I'm just waiting for the greenish blue color to come back

I also have hens that lay eggs that vary in shade, sometimes from day to day: an Olive Egger whose egg ranges from green/olive to almost slate blue, and Silverudd's Blue hens that lay eggs that can be blue-green one day and mossy with speckles the next. Enjoy the variety - it is, after all, "the spice of life"! 🙂

Back
Top Bottom