1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My eggbox supprise!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Ranger 45, May 23, 2011.

1. Ranger 45

Ranger 45 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2011
    Inman, SC
    Yeaster day was a hot humiday in the south and so i didnt bother to check for eggs till about an hour before sunset. So i went about my normal routine and feed the girls and then watered then. In my egg boxes i have some golfballs painted brown to stop them from eating their eggs. When i lifted up the little door on the side of the coop to gather the eggs, to my extreme supprise there was a 4ft king snake in there.He was all coiled up and had 2 big lumps in him and had something else in his mouth. So i ran up to the house and got some help to catch the snake. When we got back down there he was still in th same spot. When i reeched in there to grsb him, he spit out the golfball in his mouth. Yes i did say a golf ball. Then he bolted for a small hole in the back corner of the hen house but got stuck half way due to the already 2 golf balls in his stomach. so he was easy to catch. Then we made him regerate the golf balls and set him free on the other side of the property. I told this story to see if anyone hes ever had this happen to them. Cant waite to hear your stories.

2. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I haven't found any in my coop ~ yet. But I have a few water snakes in my goldfish pond.

[​IMG] for relocating instead of killing the snake. They are great rodent killers!

3. chicken crazed 1o1

chicken crazed 1o1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    [​IMG] No never had that happen but I know somebody that had found a garter snake that got one of his Silkie chicks [​IMG].

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Wow, I've never seen a garter snake big enough to get a chick. sounds like you grow snakes like we grow bears....BIG [​IMG]

5. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Quote:How old were the chicks? do you know? mine are about 4 weeks old, and I have quite a few garter snakes around, will they pose a threat?\\

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by