My eggs are blue… is this normal?

Update: Looks like it’s not a one-time thing and whatever it is, it’s quite lovely to see.
It is slightly cracked again though, so we will see if it improves in time - she is slightly smaller than the others though and the blue eggs are a tad bit larger.

F21BCB73-4ED8-4119-B2A4-7BDF40DC2CB1.jpeg

It is weird how bigger birds don't necessarily lay bigger eggs! Always surprised me to see small hens lay massive boulders.

That cage floor is quite risky, your wire is so close to your tray under they will just walk in it. Dry poo on that wire can cut them and cause bumblefoot, and it can dry on their feet causing many other issues. I'm not against wire floors but need to do it well ☺️

The dark chalky looking eggs like that I find are often from celadon carriers that miss a paint job and have a soft shell. Celadon carriers often have eggs that are blue inside, when they skip the paint job I’ve found those dark blotchy blue eggs with thinner shells, my dogs have eaten tons of them and never been ill, I think it’s probably stress related and they popped them out early.

It is weird how bigger birds don't necessarily lay bigger eggs! Always surprised me to see small hens lay massive boulders.

That cage floor is quite risky, your wire is so close to your tray under they will just walk in it. Dry poo on that wire can cut them and cause bumblefoot, and it can dry on their feet causing many other issues. I'm not against wire floors but need to do it well ☺️
Yes. My pen is in my garage as we’re having plumbing issues where they were in the front yard so cleaning changed from once a week to once every 2-3 so it is quite dirty.

It’s not as close as it looks though and they don’t walk in their poop 🙂👍

I heard that they’re very likely early cycle eggs. She’s still laying them while everyone else seems to be laying regular ones.

Very interesting though - I think it has something to do with her as she was the runt.

There's a good chance the bird is laying underdeveloped eggs. I've had this before and the shell is softer than normal as if the inner sack develops (the blue bit) but the external shell doesn't. Happens to me more in winter. Try crushed oyster shell in their diet and increase the light if it's winter where you are.

There's a good chance the bird is laying underdeveloped eggs. I've had this before and the shell is softer than normal as if the inner sack develops (the blue bit) but the external shell doesn't. Happens to me more in winter. Try crushed oyster shell in their diet and increase the light if it's winter where you are.
Thank you!

I’ve tried but haven’t seen much change for her yet - it’s Winter technically, but I live in Hawaii, so it’s just a tad bit chilly, not too much different than usual temperatures, etc.

The shells have also gotten less thin and are pretty solid now. I have a couple in the incubator with a new batch just to see how they turn out. Both seem to have developed so far.

I love how winter in Hawaii is just a tad bit chilly 🙃

It could also just be a phase she's going through. Mine stopped laying at the beginning of autumn when it got darker. When I introduced some extra light it picked back up again and the first few eggs were very abnormal including a very large egg (for a quail) that was a double yolker!!

Back
Top Bottom