my eggs chirping!!!

Sphynxcrazy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 11, 2012
Iv'e been candling this egg every day or so, trying to figure out when hatch time/ lockdown is. Well i guess today! The only problem is i have other eggs a week and 2 days still left that i have to turn. I stopped turning on monday because i knew the egg was close. today i started hearing chirping! no pip yet. My humididty is around 60% is that okay? Here's why i don't know when the inubation started:

I'm probably the only person who has accidentally incubated an egg. I made a bator and put some eggs from the fridge in. They were probably 2 weeks old and had been in the fridge so i thought nothing would happen. I just wanted to see if the bator changed. (since my replacemt pullets won't lay till spring, I have been buying eggs from a really nice lady who has free ranging hens.) I know she has a rooster but didn't think the eggs would from from the fridge.

I went to get eggs from her again and she gave me a hovabator, with the fan! she has hens to do the work. I decided to use it instead of my homemade bator since it had a hot spot even though there is a fan. I was going to put my homemade bator away and just decided to candle the eggs and see if they looked different. Sure enough one had blood vessels!!! I threw it in with my actual eggs i wanted to incubate and here we are now.

SO he/she will be about a week older than the others if everything goes well. If he/she hasn't pipped when should i intervene?

Daddy is a black copper maran and the hen is probably a new hamsire red/gold has the black on the tale. ( don't quite remember what she said. Or she has some buff orpington hens also.

Wish us luck!!

Iv'e been candling this egg every day or so, trying to figure out when hatch time/ lockdown is. Well i guess today! The only problem is i have other eggs a week and 2 days still left that i have to turn. I stopped turning on monday because i knew the egg was close. today i started hearing chirping! no pip yet. My humididty is around 60% is that okay? Here's why i don't know when the inubation started:

I'm probably the only person who has accidentally incubated an egg. I made a bator and put some eggs from the fridge in. They were probably 2 weeks old and had been in the fridge so i thought nothing would happen. I just wanted to see if the bator changed. (since my replacemt pullets won't lay till spring, I have been buying eggs from a really nice lady who has free ranging hens.) I know she has a rooster but didn't think the eggs would from from the fridge.

I went to get eggs from her again and she gave me a hovabator, with the fan! she has hens to do the work. I decided to use it instead of my homemade bator since it had a hot spot even though there is a fan. I was going to put my homemade bator away and just decided to candle the eggs and see if they looked different. Sure enough one had blood vessels!!! I threw it in with my actual eggs i wanted to incubate and here we are now.

SO he/she will be about a week older than the others if everything goes well. If he/she hasn't pipped when should i intervene?

Daddy is a black copper maran and the hen is probably a new hamsire red/gold has the black on the tale. ( don't quite remember what she said. Or she has some buff orpington hens also.

Wish us luck!!

The chirping is your chick about to pip that egg. Congratulations. You will need to set up your brooder if it makes it out of the shell. With the current humidity levels I would be more worried about your future chicks hatching then with this one. But that is why I gave up on using bators and switched to broodies - lol.

I would not intervene - opening the bator at this point will cause a reduction in humidity levels and that little one will need all the heat and humidity it has to get out of there. If it works out you have a surprize chick - if it doesn't then I would quickly clean him/her out and caulk it up to a learned lesson.

Here's hoping it works and both of your hatches are successful!

still no pip. I have been keeping the humidity 50-60% through the whole incubation. I now thats a bit high for the others but its that or it goes to 20%. I will try to lower it after i move the chick out. It was around 11am when i heard chirping.

Last edited:
still no pip. I have been keeping the humidity 50-60% through the whole incubation. I now thats a bit high for the others but its that or it goes to 20%. I will try to lower it after i move the chick out. It was around 11am when i heard chirping.
First 18 day humidity 40-45 than 55-60 last 3 day, if you humidity to high the first 18 day the chicks grow to big and when is time to hatch not able to move and they die in the eggs.
I hatch two time per week ,but the hovabator i had no luck i use GQF now.
Hope you have luck

my temps have been stable. 99-100 It spiked to 102 once for a little while. The thermometer records the lows and highs. Okay so lower the humidity after the hatch.

I could hear the chick chirping in their shells for two days before they finally pipped and zipped out. Hang in there and try not to mess with the bator. If its going to make it out it will be in the next three days or so. Praying your little one makes it out okay :)

2 days! its like waiting for Christmas when i was a little kid... i will be very fast when i turn the other eggs. I hope it at least pips in the night. i will know its alive.

2 days! its like waiting for Christmas when i was a little kid... i will be very fast when i turn the other eggs. I hope it at least pips in the night. i will know its alive.
I hope you hatch out some , i was the same put eggs from the fridge and from 7 eggs 5 hatch one my BCM roo i name him luckie get Champion Continental on the last show.
Hope you hatch something nice out.

He/she has almost pipped. theres a little crack and lots or rolling around! Maybe i will find a chick tomorrow morning...

Back
Top Bottom