My eggs gave me strength

cici_p

Songster
10 Years
Feb 27, 2009
I beginning to believe there is some sort of "hatching curse."
I have run my incubator for two weeks now, constantly checking on temps and humitity, opening the bator like I would with eggs in it, etc.
All has gone well.
Tonight 5:55 pm I put my first batch of eggs in.
Tonight 9:55 pm I realize my home furnace isn't working.
And hubby is out of town.
(I hate to admit it, but I am a little helpless on the mechanical issues when I am on my own).
I tinkered for a while, but could not figure anything out, so covered my incubator with a blanket and went to bed.
This morning, 4:55 pm, I get up newly inspired (no, I do not usually arise so early--it must be the 50 degree temperature in my house that inspired me). By some miracle I locate the pilot light lighting instructions on my heater (don't know where that was last night, but. . ). They tell me how to light it, but not where the pilot is.
I find a place that looks like a good place for the pilot light, follow the instructions, and poke my lighter in, all the while feeling like I'm going to burn the house down.
Nothing.
I search for a flashlight (you would think in a farm house one would be easily located, but of course that is never the case)
finally find one, and poke it in to the same location. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay far back is what looks like it might be the pilot light, with no way to reach without removing a larger panel on my heater.
I actually locate and use a screw driver to take off the 10 screws holding the panel on (using a screwdriver is a big step for me, ok?), remove the panel, depress the pilot light button, stick in the lighter. . .
. . .still nothing.
Bummer.
Then, I decide to try the one other copper tube coming into the same area.
Voila!!!!!
It lit!
My heater is working!
I am a mechanical genious!

I only did it for my eggs...

Now everyone please pray that my house doesn't burn down!

I fear the furnace! Actually... anything involving gas and fire...
lol.png
Congrats on figuring it out... I'd have most likely froze
tongue.png

clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
thumbsup.gif

YAY! lol I have to admit my eggs had the same effect on me not too long ago and inspierd me to build a chiken coop while my husband was at work LOL it looks great, but I had to call him a million times to ask how to work the drill and where the screws and nails were, but I did it and my husband has a new found faith that I could survive without him HAHAHA Don't tell him but I don't think I could!!!

For me it is "where there are screws, no woman should tread" LOL. I feel newly empowered.
(Can you tell I was raised in a gender specific home, or what?)

Quote:
LOL me too, but my mom is a handy woman genius; I have seen her use a miter saw and skil saw and even watched her put up a ceiling fan in a house with 20ft ceilings!!! She's amazing with stuff like that, me not so much hahahaha

It sounds like you did well. If you were truly helpless, the story would have ended with, "That's when I relised we have electric heat."

Great job!!!
thumbsup.gif
I always try to remember to get the DW to have a turn when working on a project although I forget more than I remember. Also get the kids to use the tools when not too dangerous so they will feel confident around them. DW and I built our coop together and she showed me how to install some Pergo flooring (in the house not the coop).
love.gif
We guys know that the girls can do all the stuff that we can do (and usually better) but to protect our fragile egos you hide your skills and let us be the man of the house.
gig.gif
hide.gif

Yay you did good! I don't think I would have faired as well!! When I was working the nurses used to cringe when I used the paper shredded!!! They always reminded me to watch my fingers! I do try though.
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom