My eggs were due to hatch on 7/22

southernchicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 16, 2009
Hurley, MS
I have a baby that initially pipped on 7/26, on 7/27 was trying hard to get out and had a large area chipped away, and this morning nothing has changed. I can see his/her beak and baby is still fighting to get out. What should I do? And should I discard the remaining eggs? They're still rolling around, but no pips on them...

I would give them a chance. I'm not a patient person, either! If the membrane looks white and dry, I usually dip my finger in warm water and pat a drop on the membrane to moisten and soften it.

I'm just really starting to wonder.....I initially started the bunch incubating on 7/1 and he's been trying to hatch, well, today's the third day.....he looks like he is starting to get pretty worn out....breathing heavily....
Quote:

When I help them I crack around the outside with a compass(The kind that holds a pencil. Then I get under that membrane with the sharp point & lift. I make several slices around the membrane, & put it back in the bator. Sometimes the membrane will stick to the chicks back & it cant free it's self all the way. Then it will need a sponge bath with a damp warm cloth or cotton ball. Before it dries. If you don't clean the sticky gunk off they don't fluff up. Then there's the feet problems to deal with. I believe there feet straighten, when they kick that circle around the egg as there cracking out.(That's another post)

Back
Top Bottom