My Emu Incubating Thread (First time incubating Anything in my life)

3 wonderful babys playing together, that is so nice, those little creature are so wonderful. Glad A finally made it, but you said it had a hard time coming out, maybe he was just totally exhausted... like you! Personally I wouldn't interfere with E, if he can't make it out on his own, he will not survive. I helped 3 chicks coming out of their eggs, in the past, they all looks healthy and I was convinced I did the right thing but all 3 died after a few weeks. For me, I believe it's easier to let them go before hatch than having to found them dead in the brooder room sooner or later. I hope E will finally find it's way out.

We drilled the safety hole last night and that went fine but honestly, I think he passed at some point in the last few days. I don't see movement today. You are right, it just wasn't meant to be if he cannot get out on his own.

Took the 3 babies outside today in a covered area in the sun (it's a hot day) they had a fun runaround and after 10 minutes they were all fast asleep so we went back inside.

Baby emus are literally the cutest thing ever!!

They had their first time out in the grass today, it was pretty fun.
Now they're inside and all they want to do is chirp!
Emu babies are full of omg moments. Like, I put a pie pan in their pen but quickly realized it had "splay legs" written all over it, as they went in and struggled to walk through. So I had to put a tea towel on the bottom. Then, They poke their heads through the sides of the bars so I have to put cardboard all around. It's stressful! But they are so sweet and cute <3

Hehe, nice little monsters indeed. they will find everything that shouldn't be there, it's so funny. I move mine in the barn this weekend, they are in a secure enclosure 4 x 6 feet, with many hens as neighbors, and the opportunity to go outside in the afternoon. They drink and eat well, I realized that the ordinairy fountain for my hens aren't appropriate for emu, they need to scoop in to drink so I change for a big bowl and they seem to appreciated it. I'm sending eggshells for dna testing tomorrow, hope i have a boy and a girl! One is bigger than the other, I read somewhere that female are bigger, so maybe I'm lucky enought to have a couple. Are you planning of having yours dna testing?

Hehe, nice little monsters indeed. they will find everything that shouldn't be there, it's so funny. I move mine in the barn this weekend, they are in a secure enclosure 4 x 6 feet, with many hens as neighbors, and the opportunity to go outside in the afternoon. They drink and eat well, I realized that the ordinairy fountain for my hens aren't appropriate for emu, they need to scoop in to drink so I change for a big bowl and they seem to appreciated it. I'm sending eggshells for dna testing tomorrow, hope i have a boy and a girl! One is bigger than the other, I read somewhere that female are bigger, so maybe I'm lucky enought to have a couple. Are you planning of having yours dna testing?

Where are you sending them to get that done? I have saved the shells, I want to know also!

Aww, mine are going to be inside for a few more weeks (gah! they're pooping so much already haha) until husband builds the pen. We have a side enclosure that comes off the shed, it just needs to be sealed in. will you have a heat source out for them? Mine seem okay at room temperature now, though they still have the heat lamp going.

I'm sending the shells to healthgene in ontario, just google it, it cost $15 each. They will send you a kit for each emu, kits are for blood and feather testing, but I wrote back to them and they answered that shells are ok too, as long as you kept the inner liner with some trace of blood in the shells. As for the heat lamp, I use it for the night only just in case they need it, if not they just move around.

Good evening, well after almost 3 weeks, my 2 babys died... can't tell what happen, some said they drank to much water and kind of drown... that's the most revelant explanation. We had a real warm period with humidex of +35 degrees C, and in fact I realize that they were drinking like crazy. Astridd, I haven't heard of you lately, hope yours are doing fine...

Back
Top Bottom