My Emu Incubating Thread (First time incubating Anything in my life)

Pics

Hello, I'm pretty new here. I saw other threads "hatch a longs" I guess they're called, and I wanted to make my own, to document this very exciting time in my life. (And stressful, lol)

We received our 6 Emu eggs in the mail on May 16th. They shipped May 14th from Vancouver Island and made it to Northern BC in a speedy two days. They arrived perfectly in tact, all in these carved out pieces of foam. I had my concerns about them being rattled, but they looked like they floated in here on a cloud. :D

So, we let them sit on the counter until evening (this was 11am we opened them up) around 8:30 pm. They were still a bit cool, but we were impatient to get them into the incubator. I couldn't really find solid information indicating one way or another that it was beneficial to keep shipped eggs sitting out.

The incubator we got, I've posted about before. It was SUPPOSED to be a Reptipro, but the ebay shipper was extremely foreign and shipped me a Herp Nursey, whatever the hell that is. It looks similar to the Repripro but with less desirable reviews. Due to time and budget constraints, and the unhelpful nature of this ebay dude, we decided to keep the thing and hope for the very best. It seems to have a bit of a problem maintaining temperature between the two shelves by a couple degrees. Top shelf will be at 100/99 and bottom at 96/97, or we turn it down and the top shelf is a balmy and perfect 97.5 and the bottom is 94.6/95. So, It's frustrating. We have 4 heat sink jars at the bottom of the 'bator. Any tips on further regulating the temps would be great. We have three thermometers in there and one thermo/hygrometer combo, though husband is going to pick up another one today to make sure the humidity really is as high as it seems (50-60 ever since we put the eggs in, it just skyrocketed)

At night, I have been turning the incubator up to 35 and turning the heat on in this spare room to 20 (70 for you USA people, I'm Canadian so we speak in celcius but I'm trying to have everything to Fahrenheit just for simplicity. In the morning, the top shelf gets to 100 so I turn it down to 34 and it seems to be relatively fine. Bottom shelf floats between 94 and 95 though. :( Thermometer on the left says 94, one on the right says 95.

A6cJ21j.jpg

They're here, they're here, they're here... So exciting! We have been using the bible, AKA the Emu hatch article on here, and we labeled them A-F as they suggested.
q3gKWW4.jpg

All nestled in to their knock off brand incubator. Note heat sink jars at the bottom (which we've since opened and put plastic wrap around, in case some water was evaporating and causing high humidity.) we now also have desiccant packages and two things of rice in there, but humidity won't quit being high. Awaiting second hygrometer purchase...More updates to come!

So, we took the eggs out and weighed them all when it was time to turn them. It's been just under 1/2 a week, and all are losing less than they should. I'm thinking because of the high humidity struggles.

We added a small fan on the bottom of the incubator (husband said it doesn't matter where we put it, as it's circulating air regardless?) and we took OUT the water heat sinks and added some wood blocks instead (they were holding up the bottom shelf) The humidity has dropped a bit already, so I am thinking those darn jars were to blame. They weren't jam jars with seals, just screw on lids. Maybe some water was getting out!

More updates to come.

Hopefully the fan helps regulate the temperature in there. The eggs that were at a lower temp (closer to 95) were more on track with weight loss than the top shelf and higher temp eggs. Maybe also something to do with humidity rising, who knows.

I noticed with my Emu eggs that the first week or two, they didn't lose the right amount of weight, not enough. Then after that they started to catch up. Humidity is definately a huge factor. Mine did the best at 34% humidity but the room I had them in was very dry. Also 95 is actually a good temp for them too so don't get too frustrated with that. Will take the eggs longer to hatch at lower temps but it's still ok.

I noticed with my Emu eggs that the first week or two, they didn't lose the right amount of weight, not enough. Then after that they started to catch up. Humidity is definately a huge factor. Mine did the best at 34% humidity but the room I had them in was very dry. Also 95 is actually a good temp for them too so don't get too frustrated with that. Will take the eggs longer to hatch at lower temps but it's still ok.

Thank you. It's more like 94-95 range. The two thermometers on the same shelf read different. It's so frustrating. I just wish everything could be ideal! However, I have faith that the outcome will be what it's supposed to. We have six eggs so hopefully at least two hatch.

So, the cheap fan we bought already died. Now it's rainy outside, driving the humidity up further. We now have a dehumidifier in the room too, so hopefully that helps. Number doesn't seem to be budging much away from 50-60% though :(

Temperatures are 97 on the top shelf and 95/93 on the bottom shelf. Cannot seem to get it stable across the board, but at least these temps are holding.

We are going to switch from hand turning them 5x a day to 3x a day I think, because opening the incubator causes the temp to drop so much for a while, and we're already having issues with the temps.

Back
Top Bottom