My End Game Goals for Chickens

Lovem all

Songster
Jul 29, 2020
So call me crazy but I have a dream for my chickens when I reach like mid 30's.

I want a flock that is all of my babies, ya know normally chickens and lots of different breeds. Then I want a temporary flock area that will be used for when I get new rescued/adopted chickens and I need to seperate them for the time being. Ialso want to keep young pullets there when they are ready for outside time but not being with the big flock. I want to have a whole herd of chickens with special needs because they need a home and someone willing to take care of them. Finally I wasnt a number 4 flock. A bachelor pad if you will. All rescued and adopted roosters. Oh and I also kind want a flock number 5 thats made of just small chickens because I don't want the big bullies to get them.

Am I just a crazy chicken lady? Or like is this a good end game goal for someone who loves chickens?

I want a flock that is all of my babies, ya know normally chickens and lots of different breeds. Then I want a temporary flock area that will be used for when I get new rescued/adopted chickens and I need to seperate them for the time being. Ialso want to keep young pullets there when they are ready for outside time but not being with the big flock. I want to have a whole herd of chickens with special needs because they need a home and someone willing to take care of them. Finally I wasnt a number 4 flock. A bachelor pad if you will. All rescued and adopted roosters. Oh and I also kind want a flock number 5 thats made of just small chickens because I don't want the big bullies to get them.

Am I just a crazy chicken lady? Or like is this a good end game goal for someone who loves chickens?
That’s a great plan! I want to take in birds and give them a happy life, I always feel for roosters because males are virtually useless in the egg industry but the percentage of males hatched is so high! People are always trying to give them away or they are treated badly. Also older birds or birds rescued from the egg industry. Every time I think of chickens in the egg industry I feel so sad because their lives are terrible. I always feel very happy when I hear of someone rescuing them and giving them a happy life (most have never even been outside and don’t know what to do).

I think that you’ll need a steady income though because taking in old/male chickens can’t really make you money, so the financial aspect of this may be difficult, but I personally think it’s a really sweet and wonderful idea and you know that God cares for animals as well, so if you feel this is something you should do he will help you!

It's great if your able to put time and effort into it, otherwise it would be a bit expensive to maintain that many.

This would be a huge financial responsibility unless you kept each flock very small.

I know of a lady who kept dogs like this, and another that kept cats like this, and it is not long before they become overwhelmed by their generous heart. Beware, you can't save them all. Be good to the ones you have.

I think that you’ll need a steady income though because taking in old/male chickens can’t really make you money, so the financial aspect of this may be difficult

x2. It's nice that you have an ideal goal for what you'd like to accomplish, but I didn't see anything in your plan of how you're going to afford this. "Saving big bucks" isn't a concrete plan - I imagine you're younger (given that you said "when I'm in my 30s") so what are your goals as far as work/career? What's the cost of living where you want to live? Cost of housing and land?

Back
Top Bottom