my expanding flock???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Dodgersmomma, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Dodgersmomma

Dodgersmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    My flock has expanded in a weird and unplanned way... I started with 3 hens and a rooster but then my grandmas dog killed a hen and my rooster right after I hatched 2 eggs (i kept one of the babies). The chick is about 5 months old and had been kept away from my 2 hens (we keep the 2 hens at my neighbors so they wont get killed).

Today I was given 2 roosters (it was only supposed to be 1 but i was given both) my only thing is that my young hen is still too small to be with the big roosters (they don't attack her but they try to breed with her and she is half their size) and if i move them to my other pen then i wont be able to introduce my young hen. I also cant separate the roosters because they will kill each other when i put them together after i move (i will be moving in 1-2 years and will have a full chicken coop for all of them)

basically my questions are;
    1- how old should my hen be before she is able to be bred with a full grown rooster?
    2- when will my hen be full grown
    3- what is the best way to mix them when i do move?
    4- will it just be safer to keep the hens and roosters separate?
    5- should i get more hens because of the 2 roosters

2. bird boy

bird boy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2012
    A five month old hen is typically at the age where she is an adult and ready to start laying give or take a month depending on breed and various other factors. She should be plenty old enought to breed with a full grown rooster.
    One rooster per 8 to 10 hens is a good bet for fertility. Two roosters to one hen could be a problem. Rooster may fight and hen will begin to loose feathers on her back rather fast from where the rooster mount her. Unless you want fertile eggs there is no need to mix the roosters with a hen.

3. Dodgersmomma

Dodgersmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    the young hen is a Sex-link Dominique cross

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by