My experience taking a chicken to avian vet for reproductive problem

ezeo

Chirping
Apr 18, 2018
Many people have mixed feelings about taking chickens to the vet, so I wanted to share my experience to help others if they are in a similar situation. (mods, feel free to remove this thread if inappropriate).

2.5 year old hen with bloated stomach, lethargy, inappetance. Took her to an avian vet today. Felt really silly sitting in the waiting room with scruffy white chicken while other people were walking in with fancy parrots and budgies.

Started with visual exam + ultrasound scan ($55). Vet detected a large fluid deposit in abdomen.
Clean abdomen with alcohol, drain 400cc fluid with 23-gauge needle ($100). Fluid was light yellow and clear, like apple cider.
Gram stain for crop swab and fecal ($35). No bacteria found.

Diagnosis: Fluid buildup most likely caused by unknown reproductive disorder. (Not egg yolk peritonitis, not internal laying.)
Treatment options: Deslorelin implant ($200 for 4.7 mg, effective for 3-4 months); Lupron injection ($55, effective for 3-4 weeks); do nothing and see if fluid returns (free)

I asked the vet if I could drain the fluid myself in the future, but she said no, too dangerous. It is important to do an ultrasound to make sure the needle isn't puncturing an organ or an air sac. Unfortunately I was not allowed to watch this procedure.

A little bothered by lack of biosecurity. Did not see anyone wearing gloves.

Sounds like ascites.
Training the fluid yourself can be tricky...it's easy to introduce bacteria by doing so.

May I ask what you feed your flock?

Yes. I left the name out of the OP because I did not want to make it seem like a critical review in any way. The intention of the post was just to report my experience, because I had no idea what to expect before taking chicken to a vet.
They are a great clinic with excellent vets that try very hard to keep costs down.

They are a great clinic with excellent vets that try very hard to keep costs down.
Yes, I hope I did not give anyone the impression that they were cutting corners. I was impressed with how thoroughly they examined the chicken (ultrasounds for chickens? That's nuts!). I'm just really paranoid about germs these days.

Yes, I hope I did not give anyone the impression that they were cutting corners. I was impressed with how thoroughly they examined the chicken (ultrasounds for chickens? That's nuts!). I'm just really paranoid about germs these days.
You mean the lack of gloves? That doesn't bother me at all.

You mean the lack of gloves? That doesn't bother me at all.
I worked in a cafeteria for a while. We weren't allowed to touch the food with our bare hands. We were, however, allowed to scrub the counters, brush stray food into our hands and dump it in the trash, and do all manner of other things and then use our filthy gloves to serve food.

One poor girl actually got written up for changing her gloves too often.

Back
Top Bottom