My experience with Ideal Hatchery

I had a great experience with Ideal as well... their customer service is great. This April I got 16 chicks and 4 ducklings; all made the trip safe and sound, from Texas to Vermont in less than 24 hours!

9 weeks later, they're all doing very well and are beautiful birds!

I got 7 pp with my first order of 12 in feb. I only live 2 hrs from Ideal so i drove to get my second order. I didn't need more roos and don't like having them shipped. My pp were rir's but i've heard of ppl getting the same breeds that they ordered as pp. It just depends on what they have extras of. I deal with Shannon there and she gave me her extention so i always get her right away if she is by the phone. If not she calls me back promptly.

I gotta admit. Ideal is pretty darn good.

Ordered in advance 5 french guinea fowl.

They apparently hatched the last Wednesday and by Thursday morning they were at my RURAL post office with a cheerful phone call from the gent at the PO.

I got Seven packing peanuts whcih I do not mind because the roos have to go some where and I will find homes for them when they grow up.

Today, they are all running around like little banchees. Happy ,healthy and HUNGRY.

I feel the same way. I have ordered twice from Ideal and both time the chicks arrived in healthy perfect condition...and the price was right. One order even came the following day! The other took two days.

I also love Ideal!
I just got my 10 silkies day before yesterday, all arrived safe and sound. Shipping was fast, too!
The chicks are extremely lively, dove right into their warm crumble mash and took to drinking right away on their own. Even with my last experience just about a year ago, everything went perfectly and the chicks are healthy and thriving.

I also got 3 barred rock PP with my last order and was totally excited LOL
cool.png
I've always wanted a BR roo, but never had a reason to order one. Now I got one (or 3!) anyways
tongue.png

sorry, I'm new to this, when you refer to packing peanut, does that mean the roosters they add to the box for warmth? I'm picturing the chicks stuffed in with actual packing peanut and its kind of a funny picture in my head

I really wanted to order from Ideal too... but by the time I decided what I wanted, they were out of a lot of chick types this time of year. I ended up ordering from Meyer instead, which was way more expensive than Ideal would be, but they had exactly what I wanted. Maybe next year I'll give Ideal a try.

FaykokoWV - you've got the term packing peanut nailed down correctly.. they send extra chicks to keep the others warm... usually roos.

Yes packing peanuts are live chicks. I didn't realize this until the day before i got mine.
If Ideal doesn't have what you want when you call have them put you on a waiting list. I was told in March that they couldn't fill any more orders of Salmon Favorelles until Jan. next year. They put me on a waiting list then gave me a call a week later. They had an extra good hatching coming up(i guess they candled them) and i went to pick my order up the next week. Of course i didn't want to make the 2 hrs. trip for 5 chicks so i got 5 Buff Brahamas while i was there. I actually went to get 4 each and the nice lady gave me a roo of each breed since i drove that far to pick them up.

Thats very cool. I wish I was close to a hatchery. I'd just like to go visit sometime. I don't think there's any commercial ones out here in WA though.

Back
Top Bottom