my fav hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mz_trout, Jul 7, 2011.

1. mz_trout

mz_trout New Egg

Jul 7, 2011
    I was at work on a Sat,and hubs called saying he was on his way to vets 50 mins away that would be open and look at my chicken. Apparently when he went to let the girls out(at the time i had 12..now i have 20) she was in the nesting box.so he left her alone.He went out 2 other times she was still there.so he shooed her out and she fell. so he ran in the house to get a box and when he went outside the others were pecking her..as they would do.. anyhow she dies on the examining table.hubs told the vet to do an autopsy on her as we have 11 more,and they are the wifes babies.. found out she had a tumor on her spleen,and everytime she laid an egg it would bleed.her inside was full of clots. I had no idea she was sick. she was on my lap the night before,eating and drinking.Has this happened to anyone else?

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I know it probably doesn't mean much, but I'm sorry for your loss [​IMG] You took wonderful care of her, it was just too much for her.

I've never had this happen before, no. I had one of my favorites just drop dead from the roost one day (I think she had fatty liver syndrome. She was the alpha and always had her share of cracked corn). It sounds like tumors are common in many hens, especially factory strains.

I'm sure we all wish birds were a little more "obvious" when they are sick. Usually by the time they show any symptoms, they're very far gone.

3. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    So sorry for your loss [​IMG] I think most people wouldn't be fortunate enough to have an autopsy done by a vet. It's good you were able to and have some positive answers as to what happened to your girl. Maybe there's someone here who had a similar experience. Sorry again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by